Chapter Fourteen

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: November 24th, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

"This turkey is amazing, mama!" Eleanor gushed as she took a bite out of her turkey.

It was now Thanksgiving and the Bush family were all thankful for good food and a good God.

Mildred smiled and patted herself on the back. "Thank you, Hazie,"

The doorbell rang, interrupting the family's conversation.

Leroy took his napkin off of his lap and went to get the door.

When he opened the door he saw a young white man with a bouquet. "Who are you?" He asked, hoping that it wasn't another boy for Eleanor.

"I'm from the New Haven Florist. These flowers are for Norah," The man said and handed Leroy the bouquet.

Leroy looked at the man with a look of caution. "Okay, thank you." He took the flowers from the man and he walked back into the house.

"Those are beautiful," Mildred gushed when she saw Leroy walk into the dining room.

Eleanor smiled and nodded in agreement with her mother.

Leroy rose his eyebrow and handed them to Eleanor. "Someone sent these to you, Norah."

Eleanor's eyes widened and she held them with curiosity roaming in her eyes. "For me?" She asked and her question was answered once she saw the note attached to them.

"I hope you enjoy the roses, my Norah. Thank you for trusting me, Dale.'

Eleanor's smile lit up her eyes. Though it wasn't a gushy lovey-dovey note, it was simple and romantic. She liked it.

She turned the note over and saw a phone number. It had to be Dale's.

Mildred and Leroy locked eyes and Mildred spoke up. "Eleanor, who sent the roses?"

Eleanor looked away from the note with a soft smile. "They're from Dale," She said and handed Mildred the note.

Mildred and Leroy both looked over the note, but they found nothing spectacular. It was nice, but not amazing.

Eleanor liked the fact that Dale was true to his personality. He wasn't a romantic man, he was just Dale. He didn't change his entire personality for Eleanor, but she found that in the midst of his straightforward personality, he was a tad bit sweet.

"May I be excused?" She asked with bright eyes.

Mildred nodded and Eleanor shot up and went to the phone.

After dialing Dale's number, Eleanor waited for him to answer.

"Dale Curtis, who is this?" Dale asked gruffly, making Eleanor roll her eyes. He was still the rough and gruff man.

"Hi Dale, it's Eleanor," She said while smiling, Dale was a funny brute.

She heard him curse under his breath before he spoke again. "Oh, hi Norah. Did you receive your roses?"

Eleanor smiled and bit her lip. "Yes, I called to thank you for them. They're beautiful,"

Dale sighed lightly. "I'm glad you like them. How was your day?" He asked while typing on his typewriter.

"It was uneventful," She said and Dale hummed in response.

The sound of typing came to an end. "I have to go, Norah. I'll see you soon," Dale murmured.