41. Beware of the temple of Ishtar

Start from the beginning

"Y- Yes, I'm just... nervous," She looked at the darkness outside, solemnly.

"Oh, come on, it's just a temple," I laughed. This woman was so scared all the time.

"If only I was as confident as you..." she trailed as we made our way down, "You didn't take his honour's permission..."

I was positive that Julian wouldn't bother if I wanted to go to a temple. Not that I was going alone, "I did go to his room, but the guards said he was sleeping. Isn't it rude to wake up a king?" I asked to hear her hum in response.

Since the Persian ruler Darius III had fled the second war with Alexander and was nowhere to be found, most parts of his empire came under 'The Great', which included the colourful city of Babylonia.

He had invited his warriors to celebrate in this city with lodgings for everyone. As Julian was a king, they gave us this cute little fortress to stay in, and not an ordinary house.
It was a relief that Julian's concubines were staying back in Romanos.

In the pitch darkness, women poured in from different lanes to walk in groups. Everyone wore a cream coloured linen like us. They talked in excited hushed whispers, snickering now and then as they carried the essential items for the offering.

I looked down at my bronze plate, filled with white myrtle, honey and different sweets. I wondered if Aphrodite had a sweet tooth.

Men walked around with fire torches, guiding the women to the temple in the darkness. The icy wind continued to flow by and I wrapped the thin woollen shawl tighter around me.

Even in the chilly darkness, the area buzzed with life. A faint yellow light appeared in the distance, and everyone started chanting a verse.

"That's the glow from the temple," Thalia said, her breathing erratic as she went on with a forced smile.

When we reached the temple, it was packed with people outside. It seemed only a select few or those standing first in the queue were allowed to enter one by one.

Several carriages rushed past us to be parked behind the temple. We chose to walk as it was close to our lodgings.

The oldest lady of our group, who was the palace priestess back in Romanos, led us through a different path, away from the crowds thronging the temple gates to wait for their turn.

The women who had travelled in the carriages were ushered inside while the crowd of waiting women watched in bitter silence.

"The commoners have to wait. Women of royalty and from the palace have easier access," Thalia mumbled when she saw me staring at the crowd outside.

The priestess of Romanos showed the royal seal of the Romanowskian empire to the temple guardsman, who after having a look, allowed all of us in.
I turned once more to see the waiting women glaring at us. Must be a popular place, I thought.

Gripping the offerings plate, we entered the temple and immediate warmth overtook us. Fire stands and torches lit every corner, causing a yellow glow inside.

The walls, floor, ceiling everything was stone. Noticing it closer, I figured it out to be the stone interlocking system. A method of construction which wouldn't let the temple collapse even if there was a fairly powerful earthquake.

The place was equally bustling inside. Men and women walked with offerings in this hall-like area. At the far end of this squared hall, there was a narrowed rectangular passage where the goddess' statue was placed. It too was filled with people.

We made a beeline for that narrow passage and soon, squeezing through the crowd, came to stand in front of the statue.

Oh well, this looked no one like Aphrodite.