Chapter 8 - Talamayas

Začít od začátku

"Do all vampires do that?" Neil finally spoke to Tala, looking up into his crimson eyes with fear, and Tala shook his head.

"No. My nomads would be livid if I killed any of their men or women," Tala said slowly. "I wanted to ease you through the change, and I would not have allowed you to take any life during your transition. It starts out your new life with a bitter taste, and you shouldn't hold any fear or animosity of what you are to start. What Vincent did was wrong." Tala clenched his fist.

"I begged him to stop, told him I wasn't ready..."

"I know, Neil. Your father is twisted, and I regret more with every minute that passes that I let you go to him. I never thought him capable of such an atrocity, to change you before mental maturity, let alone without the physical growing you needed. Forgive me."

"You're the only one who doesn't need forgiveness," Neil said, and Tala smiled to him. "What do I do next?" Neil asked, trembling.

"Well, this will take years, so all you need do today is sit, absorb the sounds of the trees, the birds, the water. Isolate those which you want to hear better and focus on droning the others out if you don't want them as loud. We no longer need the torches, as it must look like daytime to you even though the moon is high."

"I can see, and with how bright the moon is, I'm sorry that I made you sit around those bright flames." Neil frowned, and Tala laughed.

"The photosensitivity wears off. Lights are not that bright to me. I wield flames. If you'd like, you can listen in on what I have to say to Ghost and his brother. It's secret though, so you can't take it anywhere."

"I can keep a secret," Neil bounced with a bit of his human vigor, and it relieved Tala to know the boy was still in there.

"I have a proposition for you two," Tala said, turning to them, and they focused on him. "Your unique skill is astounding but also dangerous if it's known. The ability to fade from vampire perception is not something anyone has ever seen before. Whatever you two did when you were in the process of the change made your brother quite unique, and you possess two skills I've seen so far which transcend the current field of magic."

"You are saying if people find out, we could be targeted," the yet named one said, worrying about his brother who seemed to take information with more calm.

"Yes. That being said, you're not completely undetectable, and I will happily teach you how to become so. That will take a deal of practice though, and it would be best if you remained invisible the entire time to practice. What I propose for you is no easy task, but if you are willing, I would be honored to have you."

"What would you like of us?" Ghost asked, just as protective of his brother, but more methodical in his words.

"I want you to be mine, my personal guard, at my side at all times, carrying out my orders to infiltrate as needed, but always with one of you in my ear to convey what the other discovers. This is a position of power, and as such you would be the keeper of my secrets, and in return I would expect full honesty from you."

"You want us to remain invisible at all times?" Ghost asked as he processed and Tala nodded.

"That which is unseen and unknown can be a powerful ally in battle, and it affords you protection from being found out. If a man falls at my back, my enemies will think that I have some dastardly magic, not that I have men with me. That will terrify them and keep you safe from being targeted."

"You want us hidden from even your own people," Ghost said after a moment of contemplating. "Why?"

"For the same reason I do not allow vampires to visit my territory. Less eyes, less lies. The more people who know about you, the greater risk that your abilities become known and the less useful they become."