Chapter 4 - Stone

Stone lived in a human farm, a place where monsters bred their kind to serve or become them

Stone lived in a human farm, a place where monsters bred their kind to serve or become them. There were no names here as they were all cattle, but his bother and he had named each other. They made a game of it, picking a word that matched the other and naming them thus. His brother had chosen Stone for him because he was unbreaking when the masters came for him, and he had named his brother Ghost because he was so quiet that one could barely tell he was alive. Most families were split up, but he and his brother were unique, identical twins, and the monsters were seeing how they fared when kept paired.

Every human here was housed in a pen with high wooden walls and nothing but hay to sleep on, mostly crowded four to six to a room. Stone was huddled in the back with Ghost sleeping on his shoulder while four others sat away from them. Nothing could tear him and his brother apart, and the other humans kept away because of it. They were outsiders and that was fine. Stone didn't need anyone else.

Most of the men here were tan skinned like him and his brother, with dark hair and darker eyes, and none of them were allowed clothes. The monsters wore them, but it was seen as a waste to put them on cattle. During the day, they were forced to exercise, run, lift, and stretch until their bodies were at the best physical capacity possible. They had to be in peak condition before the change.

The weak died.

Stone had seen the change happen, as the keepers let them see through the bars on the outside of their stalls. It was terrifying, how they drained the men of their blood, filled them back up with the blood of a monster, and then just left them there. They convulsed either way, their bodies straining against the monster blood until it finally collapsed in the gasp of death or woke with a roar of the darkness inside of them. If they survived the change, they lunged and drained the unfortunate human left in with them. It was usually one who didn't behave or had been deemed too weak for the change, so it was best to appear strong and obedient.

Today was the day of the change for him and his brother, and he held Ghost tight as the monsters came for them as the sun fell below the horizon outside the one window on the far wall. This was the only day they got a cell to themselves, and the monsters took them together to one not far from the rest. The humans watched as they always did from their cages.

Once they were there, Ghost couldn't stand, falling to his knees and trembling as the monsters came in to drain them. Stone reached down and offered him his hand and Ghost took it. Be strong. Stone's dark eyes said, and his brother clenched his hand and nodded.

They'd always been able to feel each other in a way other humans couldn't, so when they were knelt in front of the two monsters for the change, he could feel his brother's terror. Stone hoped that his brother could feel his strength and that it would help him through. Either they both made it through the change, or neither of them did. Stone would not live without Ghost.

The monster grabbed his short black hair and yanked his head back to bear his throat, and Stone glared at the beast above him. It saw nothing but the blood in his veins, but Stone burned the dirt color of his eyes and the ugly short dark hair that hugged his scalp into his memory, as well as the sharp thin nose and sunken in cheeks.