Chapter 7 - Stone (Part 2)

Stone remained as the human rubbed his throat, straining to breathe, and then he fell forward onto his knees to cry

Stone remained as the human rubbed his throat, straining to breathe, and then he fell forward onto his knees to cry. It was so pitiful that Stone couldn't resist opening his cell door and going in to get a closer look. The man noticed the door opening and crunched closer into the corner when he couldn't find anyone to have done so.

"You are a prisoner?" Stone asked, and the man spun around to the ghost voice.

"Yes," he whispered into the air, his bright red hair whipping with him and falling over one eye.

"Why?" Stone had to know why this human was down here, why Talamayas seemed to want to be close to him. What about this man deserved such restraints and isolation in the dark?

"I killed the Sol Mother," the man said, dropping his head.

"Monsters can have mothers?" Stone asked, and the word lifted the prisoner's eyebrows and quelled a bit of his fear.

"You don't belong to Talamayas?" the man asked.

"No. Not yet. I was invited to stay, but I wanted to know more about him. What do you mean by mother?"

"A mother is a mother," the man smiled, and it lightened his pain-stricken face significantly. "She birthed him as a human, I hear, and after she was changed, she became the Sol Mother. It's a title for the female vampire who sires new additions to a family. Female sires nearly guarantee the change is successful for males, and greatly reduces the risk for females, who the change is abnormally perilous with"

"Why did you kill her?" Stone asked, still unsure of who was in the wrong here. If Stone had known his mother, he was sure he would kill anyone that touched her. Why then was this human still alive?

"I didn't mean to," the human said. "My magic is poisonous to vampires, and I was startled by her. I reacted to defend myself and took her life in the process."

"For that, Talamayas keeps you down here?" Stone asked, and the man nodded.

Accident or not, this man had taken someone Talamayas loved and he had every right to have his vengeance, but it hadn't looked like vengeance was what Talamayas had wanted earlier. The man had looked lonely.

"Are you already a vampire?" the human asked, and Stone sighed.

"I was changed not more than a few days ago," Stone admitted, and the human stuffed himself into the wall for safety. "Oh, you needn't fear. My change didn't go right, so I hunger for the wrong type of blood."

"The wrong... type? You said that Talamayas invited you to join his house? I thought if a bloodline changed you, you belonged to them."

"Yes, but I was not changed by a house. I was bred in a human farm. I fled from them and accidentally ended up here. Talamayas has been nice enough to take me in and offer me a home, a family, he says, but I don't know what to believe."