EIGHTEEN: stand tall

╔══════   °• ♖ •°   ══════╗

𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧

CHAPTER  EIGHTEEN:
stand tall

╚══════   °• ♖ •°   ══════╝

EMILIA FOUND JULIE crying outside in an alley. The girl was sobbing at the sky, telling her mother she couldn't help the boys — the ones who had grown to become her family — and asking her why she couldn't pick Julie up in a hug and tell her everything was going to be all right. Emilia stopped in her tracks as the doors shut behind her, watching everything unfold with tears falling down her cheeks.

"Oh, Jules," Emilia whispered.

She walked up to her and wrapped her arms around the girl, leaning her forehead against Julie's temple. Julie clasped her hands around Emilia's forearm. And there the two stood crying, mourning the loss of both Julie's mom and Luke, Reggie, and Alex.

Suddenly, a woman walked past them. She stopped and handed Julie a singular pink dahlia out of the grocery bag she was carrying. Emilia lifted her head and stared down at the flower as she slowly dropped her arms from Julie. The woman walked away, and Julie let out another sob, hugging the dahlia close to her chest.

"Jules . . ." Emilia trailed off, sniffling slightly as she wiped a couple of her tears away. "I think Flynn was right. About the signs."

Julie let out a breathy laugh. "Yeah, I guess she was."

Emilia held out her hand. "Boys or no boys . . . we have a show to put on. And I can't do it by myself. Are you in?"

She immediately grasped Emilia's hand. "Let's rock this place. It's time to stand tall."

Emilia smiled at her. She pulled Julie along inside and back down the stairs to the stage. After a couple wrong turns, they finally found the right door. Julie opened it and they stopped in between Rob and Flynn, who were standing by the doors anxiously.

"Signs," Julie announced, holding up the dahlia.

"Wait, where are you going?" Flynn called after them.

Emilia and Julie ignored her. They paused at the stage, glancing at each other for a short moment. Julie nodded and squeezed Emilia's hand. They could do this. Emilia repeated Julie's actions. With that, the two of them slowly walked on stage.

"Welcome to Live at the Orpheum," the announcer stated. "Now give it up for Julie, Emilia, and the Phantoms."