THREE: setting some boundaries

╔══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╗

𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧

CHAPTER  THREE:setting some boundaries

CHAPTER THREE:
setting some boundaries

╚══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╝

THE NEXT MORNING, Emilia padded down the stone steps to Julie's studio. Emilia had driven there so they, along with Flynn, could go to school together. It was an everyday occasion. However, her footsteps slowed down once she noticed Luke, Reggie, and Alex talking outside of the studio. Her eyebrows knit in confusion as she stopped in her tracks.

They didn't seem to notice her, so Emilia cleared her throat. The three boys then jumped, all staring at the girl with wide eyes. Emilia raised an eyebrow and stepped up next to Reggie.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Emilia apologized. She paused for a moment. "You think it would be the other way around."

Alex chuckled softly. "It's okay. Good morning, Emilia."

"Morning." Emilia's eyes then narrowed at the expressions on their faces. "Why do you look so . . . stunned?"

"Stunned?" Luke scoffed, obviously trying to play it off. "We're not—"

"Julie was playing the piano and singing her mom's song," Reggie blurted out.

Emilia's eyes widened in shock. "She was what?" A smile slowly spread across her face and she hit Reggie's shoulder in excitement. "Do you know how exciting this is? She hasn't sang in over a year. Flynn and I have been trying to get her voice back . . . guys, this is amazing news!"

"But why'd she lie about not being able to play?" Luke asked.

Emilia shrugged. "That's really for Julie to tell you, not me— hi, Flynn!"

She quickly diverted her attention to the girl walking down the steps. Flynn was quietly sobbing with a tear or two streaming down her cheeks. Emilia immediately frowned and put a hand on her friend's shoulder.

Flynn sniffled. "Hi, Em. I've come to talk to Julie about the music program. I can't believe she's gonna get kicked out."

"Uh," Emilia stated, glancing back at the boys for a second. "Yeah, let's go talk to her! She's right in there. Maybe we can convince her to try and win her spot back."

The two girls began to walk away. Emilia turned and gave the boys one last smile before walking into the studio, which was illuminated by the golden light of the sunrise. They saw Julie sitting at the piano with some sheet music spread out in front of her.