SIXTEEN: let them go

╔══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╗

𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗠𝗢𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
let them go

╚══════ °• ♖ •° ══════╝

LUKE WASN'T WAITING anywhere at Julie's house. Emilia and Julie had looked everywhere but couldn't find him. Instead, Emilia found him waiting in her bedroom at her house after she left Julie's. Emilia didn't notice until she walked up the stairs to it and opened her door. She immediately stopped in her tracks when she saw him sitting on the edge of her bed. He was staring intently at the floor, but once the door opened, his head raised. Emilia locked eyes with him. His were rimmed with red around the edges from crying. Emilia sighed and shut her door behind her.

"Look, Luke—" Emilia began.

She didn't have a chance to say anything else. In a split second, Luke was up from sitting and walking over to her. He immediately wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into a tight hug. Emilia was shocked at first, but she slowly relaxed into it. She rose up on her toes leaned her head against his, which was buried into the crook of her neck. Emilia placed a hand on the back of his head and threaded her fingers through his hair. She closed her eyes, just enjoying the embrace.

"That was incredible." Luke pulled away and kept his hands on her shoulders. "You're incredible."

Emilia gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry if you think Julie and I went too far."

"No," Luke replied, shaking his head. "After everything, I just . . . I don't think I could've stayed in that house any longer. It was kind of all hitting me all at once."

"And the song . . ." Emilia trailed off. She brushed a piece of hair off of his forehead and cupped his cheek. "It was beautiful, Luke."

Luke gripped her wrist gently. "The only retreat I really had in life was running out on my parents, especially my mom. And then your amazing self comes along and does this . . . Lia, thank you."

"It was actually Julie's idea, but it was the least we could do," she told him softly. "When my parents left Apollo and I . . . I thought it was my fault. That they left because I couldn't do anything right. That's why I became so insecure. But you, Luke . . . you, Reggie, and Alex helped me get my confidence back. I wanted to do something for you in return.." Emilia gently rubbed her thumb back and forth on his cheek. "You deserved this."

They stared into each other's eyes for a couple more moments. Luke then tilted his head downwards and kissed her again. Just like the first time, butterflies and tingles erupted inside of Emilia. She rose up higher on her toes in order to get closer to him.