Training

Jasmine hadn't realized that she'd been neglecting the outdoor landscape of the Naiger Coven Mansion until she stepped out into the glorious garden. For a moment, she was breathless, her steps stalling to a complete stop as her jaw fell.

First of all, it seemed like where she stood was designed specifically to give her a full view of what awaited her. It was akin to a balcony, somehow, even though it was on ground level, and the sweep of the gardens was laid out easily for everything to be seen. To the left of her was what looked like a maze, tall green hedges sprouting beautiful pink flowers. Even so, Jasmine could see the heads of several gazebos stretched far ahead.

Right before her was a broad expanse of empty land, lush green grass as far as the eyes could see. Jasmine could just vaguely see Trinka standing in the center, waving her hand. There were two other persons with her, one of which Jasmine guessed was Wendy. Even though the twins sniped at each other a lot, they were inseparable.

And then to the right, there was a large glass building—a greenhouse, Jasmine guessed—but it was so massive that she could easily see the entire all the law students at Dement University fitting in easily.

A gentle wind tugged at the curls framing her face, bringing her back to reality. Jasmine suddenly realized that Mason and Misty were both staring at her.

Mason she could understand, but how Misty could lay eyes on a sight such as this without gaping half as much as Jasmine was seemed absurd. "Have you been here before?" she asked the brown-haired girl, her eyes wide.

Misty shook her head. To no one's surprise, her eyes showed no expression as she said, "It is my first time as well. Since coming here, I have been by your side the entire time."

"Gods, this is incredible! No one should need this much space." Jasmine couldn't find the energy to pick her jaw off the floor even as she stared towards Trinka in the distance. "But then, I suppose it isn't that bad when you think that there are a bunch of vampires living her too. How many of you guys are here?"

Mason picked up the question easily. The wind tousled his shirt as he walked, his hands clasped behind his back. He seemed in even paler in the sunlight, the glow of his eyes even brighter. "I'd say about two hundred or so," he said, slightly uncertain. He lifted his eyes to the sky in thought. "Yeah, that sounds about right. I think. I'm not sure though, so you might have to ask Trinka."

"Two hundred? Gods." Though she'd been staying here for a while, Jasmine was yet to see more than a handful of them. No matter how large this place was, it was unfathomable to think that there were truly so many of them here.

A tingle of unease ran through her at the thought—and after it came the guilt. These vampires have been doing all they can to protect her, so to feel a little uncomfortable knowing there were so many of them around her didn't feel right. Jasmine didn't want to listen to that voice in her head telling her that they could easily turn her into a meal if they wished. No matter the pact vampires had with humans — the one that went back for centuries — there were still rogue vampires who did whatever they wished. But, of course, those vampires were not allowed to remain in covens.

"You want me to carry you across?" Mason asked, lifting a brow at Jasmine. "I forgot you were human for a second. You might get a little winded trying to get to Trinka."

"That's fine," Jasmine blurted out. She was alarmed to find a blush creeping up her cheeks. "I need the exercise, anyway."

"Do you? You seem pretty fit to me." Mason leaned down, studying Jasmine openly. Like a cat would a curious object. Jasmine was caught between wanting to shy away and to slap him. "A little on the skinny side, but I don't think a walk like this is going to help you. You're certainly not going to get anyway near Misty if that is what you're hoping for."