Naiger Coven

Hale Naiger was in a quite a pickle. Releasing a sigh that sounded like a raccoon was stuck in his throat, he leaned back in his high-backed leather chair he imported from out the country. The smell of expensive leather enveloped him, calming him as it usually did, which was the main reason he bought it in the first place. That and the added bonus that it was comfortable, gorgeous and he had just enough money to squander on it without any serious repercussions. Being wealthy did have its perks, after all.

But no amount of money could fix his current predicament. His direct blue eyes bore down on his laptop screen, watching the small, blinking red light that was steadily approaching his mansion. Each second that clocked by brought the light closer, and the problem with it. Hale rubbed his finger along the top of his lip, thinking.

Jasmine Wynter was on her way. Under the protection of two of his own coven members and their lycan friend, she was probably sitting like a bottle of agitation in the car, on her way to where she no doubt felt she would be better protected. Hale didn't blame her for that, but he wasn't so sure that was possible at the moment. After all, the one who holds pure magic was more dangerous than anyone else out there trying to get her.

Hale pressed his intercom button. "Staylm, I'd like to see you in my office."

A few minutes later, a man walked in. Staylm, the coven's second vampire in command and vice president of Naiger Enterprises. He was a rather tall man, with sticklike arms and legs, and a face so hollowed, he looked as if he hadn't eaten in years. Wrapped around his paper thin body was a designer suit that wasn't done any justice in the slightest. Still, he sauntered in with an air of confidence that was rather hard to destroy. He came straight to Hale's desk, adjusting his tie, eyes alight with question.

"You called, sir?"

Hale didn't look up. He pointed to the laptop screen. "She's on her way."

Frowning, Staylm came around to look. He coughed in his hand before saying, "That she is, sir. Is there a problem?"

"I'm not so sure she should be here. This is our home and this place is crawling with vampires. Imagine what chaos she would cause."

"Wendy and Mason reported that she had that ... issue, under control, though."

"Yes, but ..." He shifted, watching the red dot swerve into their garage. Even so, he knew it wasn't too late to turn her back. "I can't take any chances with her. She's a ticking time bomb."

Staylm straightened, coughed, then went back around the wide, brown desk to face his boss. "That she is, sir. I agree with you. But I don't think we have much of a choice. Reginald told us, commanded us actually, to protect her at all cost. We're the biggest coven in all of Dement. We're the only one who can."

Hale folded his fingers before him and said nothing.

Staylm went on, "I understand your worry, sir. But there's nothing we can do. Let's hope whatever she's doing to keep her magic under control will last until we find Kursen."

He was right. He knew it even before he said all that. Still, something itched at the back of his neck. A lingering, pestering thought that nagged at him to listen to his paranoia. But, he didn't. It was too late, and Staylm was right. So, instead of sending an order down to send them away, Hale rose to his feet.

"Looks like I don't have much of a choice. Besides, they're already here, in the parlour. I might as well go to meet them."

Staylm coughed and nodded. He gently stepped aside, allowing Hale to walk past him. He didn't question how he knew where they were. Staylm might not know the extent to his powers as coven leader but he did know that Hale knew exactly what went on in his home at all times. It was only fitting that he knew they were waiting for him in the parlour.