Misty Lain

She dreamt of smoke and silver that night. The smell of fire wrapping around her head, scorching her nose, burning her from the inside out; the glisten and shine of the silver sword slashing downwards to pierce her heart. She dreamt of golden eyes, uneasy, hard, angry, evil. So many things caught in the glow of the colour, the window to the soul of the man trying to kill her. Jasmine jolted awake when she felt the nick of the sword upon her chest. She flew into a sitting position, one arm flung out before her grasping at nothing and the other grabbing her chest as she panted and heaved.

"Jaz? Jaz, are you okay?" Hands rested on her shoulders but Jasmine was only half aware of it. Slowly, the dregs of the nightmare began to fade away in light of the sunlight spilling into the room. The buoyant curtains bathed the room in white.

Jasmine couldn't remember where she was. Her eyes scanned the room, fancier than anything she's ever seen. Then, slowly, it all came back to her. From the attack the night of Lexi's party to the moment she fell asleep wrapped up in sheets that screamed money, Jasmine instantly recalled where she was and why saw was here.

"Jasmine," came a worried voice beside her.

It was Raymond. He hovered over her, eyes filled with concern. His hands tightened on her shoulders as recognition began to flood her eyes.

"Ray?"

"Are you okay? What was that, a nightmare?"

She didn't remember. Was it? Was that the reason her body was covered in goosebumps and the bed was soaked in sweat? And why was her heart beating so erratically? Did she have a nightmare?

"I ... I don't know," Jasmine said finally. "I can't remember."

"Jesus, Jaz. You scared the hell out of me." Releasing a loud breath, Ray sank unto the bed. "You sure you don't remember? You woke up screaming and clawing at the air. It must have been pretty bad."

Jasmine shook her head. It was beginning to hurt. "I can't recall anything. How did you get in here?"

"A vampire woman led me to the room. She said her name was Trinka," he said.

"How did you know I was here?"

"The real question you should be asking is, how could you just disappear with for an entire day and leave your dorm room door busted open like that? I thought someone broke in and kidnapped you. I was just about ready to go to the police."

Jasmine chuckled. She tried throwing the sheets aside and found she was too weak to manage it. So, she sighed and leaned back in the bed. "Why didn't you?"

Ray didn't seem as amused as she was. He rolled his eyes at her, crossing his arms. "I was just about to when your mother called and told me where you were and that you were okay. She told me I couldn't come see you yet and that you would explain everything to me when I got here."

"I will," she said. "One more question though. Did my roommate freak out?"

"Oh, she's pissed."

"Good. Help me get out of bed, please? I'm too tired."

Jasmine didn't have to ask twice. Ray slipped his arm under her knees and allowed her to wrap her arms around his neck. He placed her on her feet, then held her steady until she was strong enough to hold her own weight. "You good?" he asked after a while.

Jasmine wasn't so sure. She felt uncommonly drained. Her limbs felt as if she had been running for miles, like foam. She wondered if it was a side effect of the spell.