We Are One

Jasmine didn't get a chance to respond. She opened her mouth, but her words were cut off when a loud screech sounded from outside. Her head whipped towards the window in alarm, mouth agape. She didn't even notice that she had gripped the hot mug tighter in surprise. "What was that?" she gasped.

Ophelia wasn't bothered. She shifted in her chair, the plastic crumpling beneath her. Her eyes never left the puzzle in front. "Those vampires are getting antsy."

As soon as she said those words, the screech came again, this time joined by a load roar. It was obviously a lycan. Jasmine swallowed frightfully. Her hands began shaking again, and she slowly took a sip of her tea, hoping it would calm her nerves. It didn't work.

"Stop worrying, child," said Ophelia. She frowned before penciling in an answer. "The spell will hold up. It has lasted this long, a few supernaturals won't tear it down."

"A few? That's way more than a few!"

"Sorry. I didn't get a chance to count," Ophelia replied dryly. "But the spell will still stand."

"Can you stop calling it a spell? No such thing exists!"

Ophelia looked up at her in question. "It doesn't?"

"No! Spells and witchcrafts and ... and all those stuff ... they don't exist!"

"Then how do you explain what's happening?"

"I don't know ..." Jasmine's eyes fell. She stared into the tea, watching the leaves swirl in the cup. "I don't know but..."

"Look outside."

She looked up. Ophelia wasn't looking at her, so caught up was she in her puzzle. But her tone was direct, something Jasmine was sure she couldn't just ignore. Even so, she sat there, staring at the old woman. She looked so calm, completely contrasting the raging fear coursing through Jasmine. Her hands were still shaking, although the force of it toned down a bit. Still, all she could think was that she was sitting in the living room of a delusional woman drinking tea while vampires and lycans outside hunted for her. And her mother ... she was still out there.

"Look outside, child," Ophelia said again, this time with a hint of sharpness. Slowly, Jasmine set her shaky cup down on the table before her and rose. She went over to the window and peered outside.

The vampires and lycans were still there. They were all crowding the street before the house, some in suits, some in jeans, some barely dressed. All looked crazed though, foaming at their mouths. They were screeching and roaring, banging themselves against an invisble wall surrounding the gate. Each time one of them slammed themselves against the wall, they were bounced back off with an electric shock. That didn't stop them though. They just kept coming. Jasmine watched in alarm as Rich make his way to the front, claws out. He clawed at the wall, but his hand was thrown back. It started smoking but that didn't stop him.

"You're hurting them!" Jasmine whirled on the old lady behind her.

"That's the point, dear."

"Turn it off! They're going to kill themselves on that thing."

Slowly, Ophelia's eyes rose to meet Jasmine's terrified ones. "If I bring the spell down, they'll be able to get to you. I won't be able to protect you anymore."

Jasmine sagged. She knew she was right. If that wall came down - whatever it really was - she knew it was the end for her. She looked out the window at Rich again and bit her lip in pity when she saw him ramming himself into the wall. "How do we get them to stop?"

"What was that?"

She turned back to the couch and sat. After taking a large gulp of her tea, Jasmine set it back down and said, "How do we get them to stop?"