One Happy Family

Rich was beginning to think state university wasn't for him. Too many people wanted to talk to him and there were too many walks of life here. After he moved from Cyrello to attend DSU, he never thought about all his expectations. He was a naturally bright guy. He knew that. Everyone else knew that. It was why he was here. But, he didn't think that meant he had to pretend he was a good student throughout the year. That was not him.

Rich liked to kick back most of the time. Since the start of the semester, he spent his days chilling in his dorm room, having his friends over whenever they were free. His room became the 'chill pad', too cool a name for what only entertained three people: Rich and his two best friends, Mason and Wendy. They were twins. And they were vampires.

He knew the irony. As a lycan himself, having vampire best friends wasn't a normal sight. Rich knew vampires and lycans coexisted. No harsh feelings on either end. But they tended to stick to themselves, the vampires to their selected covens and the lycans to their packs. Even when they attended the same universities, vampires and lycans, at most, were merely polite.

It was different for humans though. They got along with everyone. They were the cord that held the two races together. Without them, they would be like plyboards drifting in the sea. It made it easier for humans and vampires to get along since modern technology allowed vampires to walk in the sun with just a shot of plyopine - vamp juice is what many called it.

It was what had Rich's pale skinned friends following him to his class. "This is going to suck," Rich complained.

"I don't doubt it," Mason said. His loose tank flapped in the wind. He enjoyed the sun so much, he normally rocked sleeveless shirts and baggy shorts. His main goal for the school year was to get a tan. Rich wished him luck. "I don't understand why you took journalism in the first place."

"It's something he's good at," Wendy interjected. She was always quick to defend Rich. Like her brother, her hair was a blond colour that was - despite popular belief - natural. Her red eyes looked Mason up and down in disgust. "Not that I can say the same for you."

"Don't you have a mirror to crack?"

"Don't you have a girl to revolt?"

"Don't you two have class to get to?" Rich jumped in. He walked slowly, hoping by the time he reached everyone was clearing out.

"My class is in ten minutes," Wendy said. She pulled out her compact mirror and began fluffing her hair while she walked.

"It's across campus."

"So?" Wendy tucked her mirror away. Rich shrugged. He forgot about their super human speed for a second.

"I'm hungry," Mason complained. He held his stomach, pouting. "I'll see you later, Rich. I need to find me some food."

"I'll come with you, Mase," Wendy said. "You think Dex's Shack will have any B negative?"

"Your taste is too expensive."

"Oh shut up, you know we have the money. B negative tastes the best..." Their voices drifted off. Rich sighed again when he reached the door of his classroom. He could already hear the professor's booming voice inside.

He went in. The professor stopped talking and everyone looked at him. Rich held his hand up in apology but he knew his face was blank. He wasn't much for sorries. He said them, rarely meant them.

"Is this the famous Rich Young?" the professor said.

Rich nodded. "Yes, sir."

"You haven't come to one class since the semester started. Why now, Mr. Young? I mean, you must have been getting into the groove of skulling, am I right?"