Jasmine Wynter

How does one start their story? Should they begin at the very start of the day? When the sun had risen and they were crawling out of bed, cursing all the way to the bathroom? Should they begin with a deep rendition of who they are and what they're all about? Who knows what the answer is? Who could say they know the meaning of life?

Jasmine swallowed, pausing to give eye contact to the two people sitting before her. "Reggie Jelzi is just like you and I. Going through life hoping to find his purpose. Maybe he would have found one, one day, who knows? But maybe he'll join the same jam packed train going nowhere."

The light above her head flickered. She paid it no mind; it did that sometimes. Before her, she could hear the clang of pots being taken from the cupboards. She ignored that too. She focused on the paper she read from, her eyes shifting up before shooting back down.

"Here is where Reggie Jelzi isn't like you and I. Reggie Jelzi wants to have a purpose, to the very point he would create one himself. And I know what you're thinking. A normal person would say he just wanted to win a national medal, or make his name known. Well, he did make himself known alright, but not for the reason you're thinking. Mr.Jelzi took it upon himself to be the one to purge the world, which, as you all know, resulted in the nine serial kills of 1987. He was so hell bent on losing his ticket to the train going nowhere, that he went the extra mile to rip it up, throw it in the air and let it fall to the ground with his prints all over it. He got caught eventually. But we all know the name: Reggie Jelzi, the Throatslasher."

Jasmine smiled when she finished. She folded the paper behind her, eyes excited, waiting for her parents' response. "So?" she said. "What do you think?"

"What was this paper about again?" Frank, Jasmine's father asked. He was reclined comfortably in the couch, legs spread. His eyes crinkled with a hidden smile. The bald spot in the middle of his head shone with every flicker of the light.

"'Why Reggie Jelzi became the Throatslasher'," Jacey, Jasmine's mother answered him. She rolled her eyes in good natured annoyance, picking up her tablet. She bent her leg over the other. "Weren't you listening?"

"I was listening," Frank quipped back. "I think it's good, Jasmine. You have a real way with words."

Jasmine's smile widened. "Mommy?"

"It's was very good, dear."

"You think it's A worthy, right?" Satisfied, she lumbered over to the kitchen and plopped down on the stool at the island. At the stove, her sister Felicia stood over a frying egg. "No need to tell me," Jasmine continued. "They'll put me on the Dean's list. I'm a genius. I know, I know. Hold your applause. I'll be signing autographs after I eat my breakfast."

"You talk too much," Felicia said. She slid the fried egg off the frying pan and reached for the bread. She was still in her pyjamas, which consisted of just her bra and a pair of shorts. She didn't like wearing clothes if she didn't have to and that meant even when she was standing over a frying pan popping with anger. Her hair was still wrapped in her bandana.

"Make me an egg, please?" Jasmine asked. She sent her older sister her brightest smile. Felicia rolled her eyes, sandwiched her egg between her bread and walked away. She waved to her parents sitting in the couch, heading up the stairs.

Felicia attended Dement State Medical School where she was religious when it came on to ignoring her little sister. Jasmine didn't mind being ignored. She had her own life and friends too. The more separate they were, the better.

Jasmine was in too good a mood to be upset. She made eggs for everyone in the house, then she scarfed hers down and headed upstairs to get ready for class. As soon as she stepped into her room, her little sister jumped out of her bed. Jasmine jolted in surprise.