The Suit pt.2

After picking Elena up and speeding her to his car Elijah sets her down with a small smile.

"There's something I don't understand." Elijah says after a moment of driving in silence.

"What might that be?" Elena asks teasingly, putting her head in her hand.

"If you could have contacted me yourself, why involve Rose-Marie and Trevor?" Elijah asks.

"I may have been playing matchmaker. Rose and Damon would be cute together." Elena says with a shrug.

Years ago, Elena decided she wouldn't be putting any work into character relationships, buuut… Klaroline rights!

"And Rose and Trevor's friendship warms my cold heart. Plus, I wanted Rose to be rewarded for staying by his side for 500 years. That's loyalty." Elena muses as Elijah nods.

"So, you gonna asks about your future?" Elena asks out of the blue, surprising him.

"I wasn't really sure how to ask." He admits making her laugh.

"You died." Elena says sadly as Elijah observes her curiously.

"You seem saddened by that. Why?" He asks, she shrugs.

"Because I am sad. I've grown rather attached to your family." Elena says looking out the window with furrowed brows.

"That's not happening this time." She says quietly.

"I won't let it." She says in a determined tone.

"I believe you." Elijah says looking at her.

"What's your last name, Elena?" Elijah asks deciding to learn more about the girl who just turned his life upside down.

"Gilbert. I can tell you my story if you'd like." Elena offers noticing his curiosity, he nods.

"Well, I was adopted by my birth father's brother and his wife. My bio parents were sixteen and didn't know how to be parents. My parents had been trying to have a baby for years and thought I was a miracle." Elena laughs softly with a smile.

"Boy, were they wrong." She says and he chuckles.

"Knowing all I did, I wasn't exactly a normal child. Honestly, I was completely detached until they had my little brother." Elena smiles so bright it distracts him from the road.

"The light of my life, that kid. After he came along I started warming up to my parents. Well as warm as you can get when you know your parents are part of a secret society filled with vampire torturers. Anyway, I was so bored that I decided to learn as much as I possibly could. I speak a few languages and can play a couple instruments. I've read tons of books and learned to play hundreds of songs. As soon as I was able to hold a pencil I started to make a plan to change the future. So far I've changed some pretty major things." Elena trails off with a thoughtful expression.

"But I couldn't change my parents death. I tried. I don't know if it was fate for them to die or just a freak accident, but… I'm gonna save you, Elijah." She finishes with a nod.

"I'm very sorry about your parents, Elena." Elijah apologizes making her shake her head and smile.

"No. It's okay. One of the cool things about knowing a bunch of information about an alternate timeline is knowing that peace exists. And I know that they found it." Elena smiles at the thought of her parents.

"You understand that Klaus might not let me resurrect you, correct?" Elijah asks cautiously, feeling the need to warn the girl.

"He kinda has to. Long story short, your mom's a real bitch." Elena says bluntly causing Elijah to make a surprised face.