The Very Beginning

"Alex you can't go. Let someone else do the dirty work. They have enough people going out right now."

"Aaron." The woman with faded brown hair came walking up towards him. She had this look of 'really?' on her face...yet it had a mix of love and understanding. She placed her hand against his face giving it a stroke as she spoke. "You know I have to go. There are only four other people going."

"Exactly!" the short black-haired man grabbed her hand around the wrist in a forceful manner. He wanted to make sure he had her attention and for her to stop this cutsie act to get out of trouble. She did this every time. Thinking if she acted innocent or batted her eyes in just the right way she could get away with anything. Well, not this time. This was her life on the line and she had to stop putting it in jeopardy every single day! "There are four people going out." he didn't mean to, but he instantly squeezed her hand even harder. "You do not have to keep agreeing to go out there. There are others who can do the exact same job you can."

"But not as well." she interrupted with that smart-ass tone of hers. She really doesn't care at this point if he got pissed at her or not. She just wanted to get out there and end this conversation.

"That is not the point" he growled out as he threw her hand from his grip. "You know what?! Fine! You want to go out there and waste your life away then be my guest, but Do Not come running back here just expecting me to be waiting for you with open arms. Find another man for that." he stormed off into the room that should have been the living room, but the most they had was a broken down dusty couch found in the garbage, a metal chair, and a wooden table that was so small it might have been considered an end table but big enough for both humans to put their plates down on it and eat.

With a sigh...and a few minutes to allow him to calm down, Alex walked in on Aaron passing the room. She stood in the doorway full of remorse, she knew she shouldn't have said many of those things. She knew they would get under his skin, but that's exactly why she said them. She just wanted him off her back.

Wandering over towards the couch, she gently sat down to talk to him a bit more only getting the reply of more pacing and silence. The only thing she could do is on was the way her body felt sinking into this very unsteady material from all the wear and tear over the years. If this was normal life she wouldn't stand for it. She wanted to toss it out like yesterday's newspaper and purchase a new one...but that was the problem. This wasn't normal. Life wasn't normal. The unthinkable was normal now. Normal was scrounging around for scraps and broken items just to live. Normal was hiding and lurking around like rats just waiting for the day their lives were ended early by these giant bafoons who believed they owned everything. If one thinks about it...they do own everything. These 80-foot giants came to earth in some way and took over everything. Nothing in their path was sacred. No building. No monuments...no life was worth anything. They saw and they destroyed. Within a year, or maybe it was two, the human population dwindled majorly. Anymore one would only see scattered communities that are hidden or underground. These communities usually only consist of twenty people at the most. The most! In the community the two were currently staying in they've only run into three other groups. Their settlement is the largest with 15 people living there, and it's like this everywhere one goes. Some say that over in bigger cities like what used to be Las Vegas there are seven groups, but the larger amount of groups there are the more of a chance the people will get caught.

Looking over at Aaron just tracing his steps with her eyes she attempted to speak up. "Look...Aaron." He didn't even look at her. He was in his own little world of disaster that he needed to be snapped out of. "Aaron. Please look at me." Still no answer and more pacing. Alex stood up and gently placed a hand on his shoulder to get the attention she needed. It wouldn't force him to look at her, but he would stop moving around. "Aaron? Please look at me."