Chapter 48 ~

Kaleb's POV

Two weeks, It's been two weeks, and there hasn't been a trace from Layla. I am going out of my mind. I still can't phantom why she thought she should leave. Have I not shown her enough that I love her? Did I mistreat her? What did I do wrong? Does she not love me?

"Stop it, Kaleb," Whitney demands as she barges into my room causing the door to slam into the wall.

"Stop what?"

"Stop questioning yourself. I can tell by the look on your face what you're thinking. You did nothing wrong."

"You're wrong," I scream as I shove everything off my desk causing a framed photo to crash to the ground and break. There's no way to stop the tears from falling as I pick up the broken frame with a photo of me and Layla in it. "Why, Whitney? Why did she leave me? I- I can't go on without her. She's my world and now she carries my child."

"Kaleb," Whitney says as she helps me stand up and hugs me. "You did nothing wrong. You gave the world to her."

"I didn't give enough," I sob. "I should have shown her more love. I should have protected her better."

"Stop it now! Stop right now! She was scared. She didn't leave because you aren't enough or because she doesn't love you. She left because she is scared. She's scared and she feels like she wouldn't be enough for you."

"But she isn't just enough, Whitney. She's everything to me. She is my everything." They say with time things get better, but it's a lie. All I do is worry about her. What if her stepdad or step brother found her? What if someone else has her? What if she's hurt? Does she even miss me? Has she found someone else? Is there someone better for her than me? What if she found someone else? NO! I am wrong. Layla loves me. I know she does.

"You have to get out of your head. The more you overthink, the more upset you'll get."

"Whitney, you don't understand."

"What do I not understand? Explain it to me, Kaleb."

"I don't know how to explain it. I just don't understand this. I know Layla loves me, but why would she just get up and leave me. I know you said she is scared, but I should be the one to comfort her then. I should be there to make her feel better, but instead, I have no clue where she is. And it's not just her anymore. She is also caring for our child and planning on giving up her rights to our child. That hurts in a way I can't even begin to describe."

"Kaleb, I-"

"No, Whitney, don't say anything. I don't know if she's okay. I don't know if her stepfamily has her. I don't know anything." I growled at Whitney. I feel like I'm suffocating in this room. Grabbing my keys and jacket, I push past Whitney to leave this stupid house.

"Where are you going, Kaleb? Let me at least go with you please." She yells out while chasing me out of the house.

"No," I sigh. "I just want to be alone. I feel like the walls are closing in, and I need to get away from it all."

"I- I don't like you running off on your own. Don't do something stupid, Kaleb. She'll be back and she'll need you."

"Mhmm," I hum in response as I get into the truck and pull out of the driveway. Through my rearview mirror, I can see her hunch over in defeat. I know she's only trying to help. All of our friends and family have been trying to help me, but they don't bring me joy. Nothing brings me joy anymore.

I have no clue where I am driving to as the words from Whitney keep playing in my head on repeat. She'll be back and she'll need you. I wish that was true, but what if it's not. How do I move on? It's like living without air, it's not possible. Not knowing where to go, I pulled over at an empty park, or at least I thought it was empty. After walking around for a bit, I noticed that there is a young couple here with their son. They're so happy chasing him around the park. The love from them radiates off them and I can't help but smile.

The smile from my face suddenly vanishes as the thought of that could be me and Layla pops into my head. That could be us with our daughter or son. We could be the ones smiling and laughing, but now I don't even know where she is. What our future could be plays in my head until Whitney's phone starts ringing in my pocket. Whitney decided to give me her phone since Layla has the number memorized in hopes that she might call it.

I don't recognize the number and I feel a bit hopeful. Maybe it's Layla. "Hello?"

"Uh? Oh shit! This must be the wrong number," the girl on the other end sighs. "By any chance, is there a Whitney there?

"Uh, I'm her cousin, Kaleb. Can I give her a message for you?"

"Yeah, wait... Your Kaleb?"

"Yeah, why?" I say annoyed. Layla could be trying to call, and this stupid girl is keeping my line busy.

"You're who I am looking for!" She screams. "My name is Carla. Layla has been staying with me. It took me forever to get someone's number that she knows."

My eyes widen and my heart jumps in my chest. "Layla? You know where she's at? .Please let me speak to her. I've been so worried. Can you give her the phone?" Silence... Carla isn't saying anything. Did I hang up on her by accident? "Carla?"

"Kaleb, you can't talk to her right now. That's actually why I am calling. Three days ago she passed out. She at Saint Helen's Hospital in Brooksinburg."

"Booksinburg? That's at least an eight hour drive from here. What condition is she in? Are you with her now? How's the baby?"

"I don't know. They won't give us any info other than she's still sedated since we aren't family. Wait... Baby? What baby?"

"Nothing, I misspoke. Why is she sedated?"

"When she woke up in the hospital she was freaking out. They sedated her because she wouldn't calm down and they said she needed more rest but that's all I know. I am really sorry."

"I'll be there as soon as possible. I just have to let our family know and then we will be on our way. Thank you for calling."