Chapter 13 ~

Kaleb's POV

Her laugh. It's so addicting. Mesmerizing. How is it possible that someone can have such an alluring laugh? It isn't until she catches me starring that her laugh dies down and her cheeks turn a dark shade red that even the bruises can't over power. "Since I won, are you planning on sticking with your end of the deal." I smirk

She tucks a strand of hair behind her hair which is something that I've begun to notice that she does when she nervous. She gulps, looking at me nervously. My friends are staring between the two of us. They didn't know we had made a deal. "I g-guess."

"Wait. What are y'all talking about?" Summer ask being nosy.

Layla stares at her feet as if they're the most interesting thing in the world. "We had a small wager, and since I won, she will not be changing her schedule."

Whitney looks at Layla. "Is this true?"

Layla nods her head without look up from the ground. High pitch squealing erupts from Whitney, Summer and Winter as they jump up and down around Layla in excitement. "I was hoping you were going to beat Kaleb because he never loses, but now I'm glad he won." Winter laughs in delight.

Daniel pats me on the back. "Nice going bro." He whispers out of earshot from Layla.

With a smile on my face, I shake my head slightly. "It was harder than you think. At first, I didn't think she would agree to the wager. When she did, I didn't think she would be good at air hockey. I'm the champion of that game, but she was a tough competitor."

He laughs. "Finally, there's someone who stands a chance at beating you. So, what did you have to do if she won?"

I give him an impish smile. "Well, it was more of a win-win for me. If she won, she wanted me to answer any two questions she chooses honestly. I told her that wasn't good enough because I would already be honest with her. When she couldn't think of anything, I said I would take her to the movies and dinner." Daniel's grinning like an idiot. "As friends. Her words not mine."

Daniel bends over laughing. "Damn. Already in the friend zone."

"Shut up." I grumble, smacking him on the back of the head.

"Watch it." He groans, as he rubs the back of his head. "It shouldn't bother you if you don't have a crush on her like you keep saying."

After my air hockey match with Layla, we end up watching a movie in the theater room. By the time the movie was over, everyone was asleep besides me and Layla. I guess with waking up early and all of our so called fun that we had today everyone was exhausted. I gesture to Layla that we should leave the room and she follow me upstairs.

We enter the guest room that she is staying in and she gives me a sad smile. "Umm. Thank you for letting me stay the night last night, but I need to get home before my dad...umm... before he worries where I'm at." I can't let her leave without finding out what happened to her last night.

Grabbing her arm, I have her sit on the side of the bed next to me. "First you need to tell me how you really go hurt."

She shakes her head at me. "I can't. Can you please just let it go?" She pleads to me.

"No." I say firmly. "You said you would try to trust me. Trust me with this."

Tears roll down her face. "I can't. I'm sorry." She stands and tries to run out of the room, but I gently pin her up against the wall like I did the previous night.

"You aren't going anywhere until you tell me what happened, Layla. I need to know you're safe and I don't think you're safe at home." I exclaim. "Who is hurting you? Is it someone in your home?"