Chapter 17 ~

Kaleb's POV

Today has been boring to say the least. Everyone besides me and Connor slept in late. When they woke up, we ate the breakfast my mom had made us. Of course, it had to be reheated since it was already almost one in the afternoon, but everyone still enjoyed it. Anyone and everyone will tell you my mom is the best cook ever when it comes to breakfast.

Once we finished eating breakfast or lunch depending on what you're wanting to call it because of the time of day it is, we all go to the game room. "Let's play Mario Kart 8 on the switch, so we can all play at the same time." Winter chirps.

"That's a racing game, right?" Layla asks.

Connor tosses a control at her. "Yep."

Layla stares at small green controller in her hand with a funny expression on her face. "Why is the controller so small?"

It takes everything inside of me not to laugh. "Have you ever played Mario Cart?"

Layla looks down at the ground as she turns red. "Umm. Yes, but not on this system."

"What system? The Wii?" Jake asks. Layla shake her head. "The DS?" Again, she shakes her head. "Gameboy advance?"

"No," Layla whispers slightly embarrasses. "The Nintendo 64." She squeaks out.

"That's a really old system." Daniel says. "Umm the graphics have gotten a lot better." He laughs.

Layla rolls her eyes. "And the controllers have gotten a lot smaller." Everyone starts laughing as Layla looks at the small controller nervously.

As everyone take their seats, I make room for Layla to sit beside me. Whitney smirks and winks at me while, Connor makes a kissy face. I want nothing more than to slap the two of them. Thank goodness Layla doesn't see either of them acting like the childish idiots that they are.

We end up playing Mario Kart for the rest of the afternoon. Again, Layla surprised us by coming in first place several times. Hours had flown by when we decide to go downstairs and eat the cake that was made yesterday. Right as I cut into the cake, the front door opens, and our parents walk in.

Immediately Layla tenses up. My mom comes running into the kitchen, "Kids, can all of you meet us in the living room?"

We all quickly walk into the living. Layla is the last one to enter the living room and everyone's eyes are on her. My dad introduces all of the parents to Layla. She gives them all a quiet 'Hello'. She is so nervous, that she's trembling.

All of our parents look at her with love in their eyes. My mom and dad have only known her for a couple of days and everyone else's parents are just now meeting her, but they care for her as much as they do for us.

No longer being able to wait, I clear my throat. "So, what happened?"

"It took a few hours, but Layla, you father went in front of the judge. The judge explained several things to your father, and then your father signed his parental rights away." Layla doesn't say anything. She shows no signs of emotions. There are no tears, she's not smiling, she doesn't say a word. She just sits there as still as a stone with a blank face.

Finally after a few minutes she seem to gain the courage to ask a  question.  "D-did he try t-to fight it?" She timidly asks.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, but he signed them willingly." My mom says softly. She walks over to Layla and gently rubs her arms. "On the bright side, he can't hurt you anymore. You're safe with us."

Layla looks my mom in the eyes. "You have permanent custody of me?"

My mom swallows hard. "Well, umm not yet, but we will." She says giving Layla a small smile. "There was a glitch that wouldn't allow the computer to give us full custody of you. The judge said it is just a computer error and it should be fixed soon. Until then we are listed at your temporary guardians, but rest assure we will have full guardianship of you soon okay, sweetheart?  Since you are now with us, how about we all go and  celebrate?"