Chapter 20 ~

Kaleb's POV

The sweet smell of my mother's amazing breakfast wakes me up from one of the best night sleeps I've ever had. I try to sit up only to realize someone is laying on my arm and their arm is laying across my chest.  A warm feeling spreads through me as I see how peaceful Layla looks next to me until I hear someone laugh.

My eyes shoot to my door to see my mom standing with a tray that has the breakfast she made on it. I mentally start to freak out at what my mom must be thinking. "Mom, i-it's not what it l-looks like. She just-"

"I really hope it is what it looks like, or else you will have a lot of explaining to do."

"What?"

"Kaleb, I'm your mom. I know everything about you.  Like how normally you don't sleep with a shirt on. So if I'm guessing correctly, I would say whatever made her freak out yesterday also made her not what to be alone last night." My mouth hangs open as I stare at my mom in awe. "We all know that you are the only one she feels a hundred percent safe with, and that would explain why she's in your bed with you."

"I-I don't even know what to say," I say as I look at my mom still in disbelief.

My mom smirks at me. "You could always tell me how I am the most amazing mom ever." She laughs. "Poor thing," she whispers as sits on the edge of my bed and moves some of Layla's hair out of her face. "This is probably the first time in weeks that she has had some decent sleep. You do know that she spends most nights pacing back and forth in her room."

"No. How do you know?"

"I started checking on her nightly after I walked by her room one night hearing her cry. She told me she has a hard time sleeping because she gets nightmares. I told her she didn't have to worry about her dad anymore, that she is safe here, but she said that her nightmares aren't about her dad nor would she tell me what they're about. This is the first time for her to look so peaceful while sleeping."

"Why didn't I know about her nightmares and her not sleeping?" I ask slightly upset.

My mom gives me a sad smile. "Because she cares about you."

She cares about me? "What does that have to do with anything?"

My mom takes a deep breath. "She said that you worried enough about her and she didn't want you to worry more. She made me promise not to tell you.  We made a deal that I would be allowed to check on her as long as I didn't tell you, and if her nightmares got really bad she would come and tell me."

"Thanks, mom but please don't do that again. I want, no, I need to know everything about her."

"Honey let's just say I won't be surprised to find her sleeping in your room more often. Like I said she doesn't normally sleep. I'm sure after finally getting some decent sleep she is going to want to sleep in your room more often." Standing up my mom walks over to computer desk where she placed the breakfast tray. "Let her sleep for a bit more and I'll bring this back downstairs. Once she is up and finishes eating breakfast, she needs to buy a dress for your dad's work banquet. Whitney and the girls or I can go and help her pick a dress out."

"I can help her." I volunteer. "Plus, that would help me pick out a matching tie to her dress."

My mom rolls her eyes at me playfully. "Kaleb, do me a favor and take Whitney with y'all. I love you and all and I know Layla trust you, but you have no clue how to pick out a dress."

"Okay mom, Whitney can go with us. Now please leave so we can sleep a little longer." I say waving my mom off.

My mom walks out of my room and closes my door. Layla is still sleeping peacefully. I pull her closer to me keeping my arms wrapped around her. I need to talk to her later today about what happened at the diner yesterday, but for now, that can wait.

Whitney's POV

Aunt Abby walks back into the kitchen with a breakfast tray smiling. Nothing on the tray has been touched. "First, why are you smiling? Second, why is there breakfast still on that tray? There's never leftovers when you make breakfast."

"To answer your second question first, both Layla and Kaleb are still trying to sleep. As for your first question, Layla is snuggled up to Kaleb as we speak."

"Seriously?!" I scream as I jump out of my chair and dance around the kitchen like a lunatic. "Ahh... I bet they are so cute together." I cheer as Aunt Abby and I fangirl over them.

"Hopefully they'll wake up soon, but Layla really does need the sleep. There hasn't been a single night that she has slept well. When they do get up can you help Layla shop for a dress for your uncle's banquet tomorrow night?"

"Of course, Aunt Abby. It will be fun to have some alone time with Layla. We can get our nails done too if she wants." I haven't spent much alone time with Layla. Kaleb, Summer, or Winter is always around.

Aunt Abby gives me a hesitant look. "Well, Kaleb is going with y'all." She quickly says.

"What? Why?" I say aggravated. "He's a guy. He doesn't need to go."

"I don't need to go where?" Kaleb says as he walks into the kitchen.

"You don't need to go dress shopping with me and Layla," I say sternly. "It's not like you would even know how to pick out a dress."

He scoffs. "I don't really care what you think. I'm going and that is final."

As my cousin and I continue to argue, Layla walks into the kitchen wearing one of Kaleb's shirts and some booty shorts. "Good Morning!" She sings cheerfully.

Aunt Abby smiles at me knowingly. "Good morning to you too, Layla. You seem awfully cheerful this morning."

"Huh? Oh, I guess I just slept well." Layla says not knowing that Abby and I both know that she slept in Kaleb's room.

"I bet she did," I whisper in Kaleb's ear without Layla hearing.

Kaleb glares at me. "Shut up Whitney." He growls.

Aunt Abby rolls her eyes at us as she continues to cook. "Layla, I made French toast and eggs. Would you like bacon, sausage, or both?"

"Both please," Layla says, as she grabs a plate and starts piling food on her plate. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen her put so much on her plate before. Kaleb watches her with a huge smile on his face as she fills her plate. I can tell by the look on his face how much he cares for her. It's so adorable.

Layla takes the seat next to him moving it even closer to him than it already was. We all sit in a peaceful silence as we eat. "Layla, did Kaleb tell you that you need to go shopping for a dress?" I ask.

She looks up from her plate and wipes her mouth with her napkin. "A dress? For what?" She asks as Kaleb glares at me.

Kaleb's POV

Stupid Whitney. She just couldn't keep her mouth shut. I wanted to ask Layla in private if she would go as my date.

"Umm," I say sheepishly as he rubs the back of his neck. "My dad has a work banquet tomorrow that we are all going to. There's dancing and eating. Whitney will be going with Daniel. Summer and Winter will probably go with Jake and Connor and umm... Iwashopingyouwouldgowithme." I say the last part so fast that I don't think anyone made out what I said.

My mom and Whitney are staring between Layla and me. "What was the last part?" Layla asks with her eyes going wide.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Opening my eyes, I look straight into Layla's eyes. "I was hoping you would go with me to the banquet."

She places her fork down on her plate and starts to fiddle with her fingers in her lap, before looking up at me. "Umm yes, I would like that." She says barely audible.

She said yes but it takes it a few minutes before it registers in my head. "Great. After we finish eating, we will go buy you a dress." She smiles at me and starts eating again. "Oh, Whitney is coming with us. " I say glaring at my cousin.

"Of course, I'm coming." Whitney intrudes. "There's no way I'm letting Kaleb pick your dress out."

Layla eyes meet mine as she smiles. "Okay." She softly says. For the first time ever, I think there is no fear or pain held in her eyes. Instead, her eyes are full of happiness and excitement. I don't know how to explain it, but her sleeping next to me last night seem to make a big difference in both of us.