Chapter 40 ~

Kaleb's POV

It's been hours that we've been driving, and I feel as if the world is about to come crashing down on me all at once. The only brightness in my life right now is fast asleep beside me with her own demons she has to worry about. My hands start to shake and my vision blurs as I finally give in and let me emotions take over.

For the safety of Layla and I, I pull over at a rinky looking gas station. This place is creepy and deserted. After letting a few tears escape, I wipe my face with the sleeve of my shirt. It's been hours since either of us have eaten and I need something if I'm going to keep driving.

I kiss Layla's head and make sure she's still comfortable or at least as comfortable as you can be for being in a truck before locking the door and going inside of the little convenient store.

The bell rings overhead as I walk into the little convenient store. It is surprisingly well kept versus its outside appearance. The smell of vanilla and cinnamon circle around me and for a few brief seconds, I forget that I am on the run with my girlfriend. Walking farther inside there is man at the counter who keeps his eyes on me intently.

Under any other circumstance, this would have sent me running for the hills, but there is something in his eye. Like a spark of hope. Could he recognize me? I would hope not. That would only put me and Layla in more danger.

Circling around the aisles, I pick up several things for Layla and me to snack on, tons of candy, chips and drinks. I probably shouldn't be wasting money on this stuff, but we need something to uplift ourselves. With my arms full of stuff, I walk over to the man who is still staring at me and place my stuff on the counter.

The guy, whose name is Jim, smiles at me with a warmth in his eyes that I haven't seen since Layla and I have been on the run.

"You look familiar kid. What's your name?" He says as he scans each item placing them in two bags.

My fear spikes at him wanting to know my name. Could he be on to me? I take a deep breath calming my nerves. "My name Thomas."

The old man quirks his eyebrow up at me. "Interesting..."

Red flags are going off in my head and I need to get out of here before it's too late, but at the same time he seems to know something, and I want to know what that is. "Interesting?"

The man smiles at me. "Well yes. First off you don't look like a Thomas."

"I don't look like a Thomas? How does one look like their name?"

Jim chuckles. "Well you see, not too long ago a few guys came in here looking for their boss's daughter. Apparently, she was forced by some guy to run away from home. Now these guys you see, threaten to destroy my store if I didn't report back to them with any new information I may find out that would help bring her home."

Before he can say anything else, I cut him off. "I'm sorry to hear that his daughter ran off." I say trying to not let my voice waver as I had the man the cash.

He stares at the money in his hand that I had just placed in his hands. "You know, I don't think you are sorry. Just like I don't think your name is Thomas."

"You can keep the change." I say grabbing the bags and turning towards the door just wanting to get the hell out of here.

"Kaleb, stop." I freeze as my name leaves his lips. "I know it's you."

I swallow the lump in my throat before slowly turning around to face Jim. "Let me guess. You've called Layla's dad."

"Well I would but no."

"No?"

Jim laughs again. "No."

"Why?"

"Because he doesn't care for her." He says with a serious look.

"What?"

"I rarely get customers here. I only keep this place open because it was once my late father's pride and joy. The moment you pulled your truck into the lot I've been watching you. I saw the grief that you were in. I also saw the love you have for that girl in the car." He says softly with a smile on his lips. "I didn't know it was you for sure until you came to my counter. That man who claims to be her family isn't her family. He would be out there looking for her himself and not sending his goons if he really cared."

"So, you aren't going to tell anyone I'm here?"

"Nope." He says shaking his head, "But I do have some advice for you. I've seen your parents and family on tv. Her stepdad has made sure to portray them as bad people, but nonetheless you can see how much they are missing the two of you. They're worried about you. You should at least contact someone and let them know you are okay."

"Yeah, but it can put us or them in danger."

"Son, some dangers are worth the risk." He says before handing me all of my money back. "It's on me as long as you take care of your girl."

"Really? Please let me pay for our stuff."

"It's on the house. Now get out of here before she wakes up and wonders where you are."

"Thanks." I say grabbing my stuff. With my bags in my hand, I walk out to find Layla still sleeping. I gently place the bags in the truck to not wake her up.  From the corner of my eye a payphone catches my attention as I'm about to get into the truck.

'Son, some dangers are worth the risk.' Plays in my head on repeat. It would be nice to hear from someone in my family. I take one more glance at Layla to make sure she is still sleeping before I make my way over to the payphone. With a shaky hand I pick up the phone and dial the first number that comes to mind. Each ring makes my anxiety spike more and more until I hear a voice.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Kaleb?"

---------------------------------

Hello Everyone! I know it's been over a month since I've updated this story and I'm really sorry about that. I am hoping to have the next chapter out in a few days. If you want to give me motivation to write follow the Lynx Pack CLNighters  I am one of the proud founders of this great community and we're hiring.  Don't miss out on your chance of becoming apart of our family!