Chapter 19: Talking it Out

The world around Mariana stopped turning as the last few words unraveled right in front of her eyes. She couldn't believe what her mother had gone through that ensued after the death of her grandparents.

Reading the hidden sufferings, masked by the graceful loops of letters that danced across the page, made her realize that this new Xavier was not the uncle she once knew, and now this unknown new person has taken over, with only his beloved nature being a shadow of the things of the past.

It didn't help the fact that Mariana was a direct copy of her grandmother. Her mother sometimes mentioned it but it never seemed bothered her. And she'd always loved Mariana despite that. Maybe through her, her mother tried raising a better person than her grandmother because with what she did, Mariana would never dream of doing to her future kids.

But she guessed that Xavier couldn't get past the looks and now, she had to suffer for something that wasn't even her fault.

She turned the phone off to stare at her sullen reflection. Every freckle on her nose, every curl that fell on her head, even those sparkling brown eyes. Did she really look like that monster of a human? Was that how Xavier saw her? As someone who was wicked and cruel at heart that they have no love within them?

She unlocked the screen once again and kept staring at the letter, hoping the memories inscribed in it weren't true. But she had no choice but to accept she was never getting her old uncle back, no matter how hard she wanted it to happen.

Her mind that drifted off into the world of the letter, was suddenly disturbed by the swift moments made by bedsheets. She looked up and Micah's fingers were twitching as he moved slightly.

Mariana rushed to his side and his forest eyes slowly cracked open.

"Micah? Are you awake?!" She exclaimed.

His lips quivered into a squiggly smile that was barely able to surface on his face. "Hey..."

"Oh my gosh, you're actually awake!" She ran over and hugged him, never wanting to let him go. He had finally awoken and she wasn't going to lose him again. "How are you?" She cupped his face softly.

"Still in pain but not as bad as last night."

"Aw well, I'm so happy your awake now," she slowly rubbed his cheeks as she couldn't keep her eyes off his eyes. It felt like forever since she's seen them, and now gazing into their glistening glow, gave her hope that Micah will be better soon.

Suddenly, they got startled by the door closing with a bang, and Leilani and Miguel returning.

"Hey, we're back!" Leilani announced.

They came closer to the bed where Micah propped himself up a little to see them.

"Oh Micah, you're awake!" Leilani exclaimed.

"Hey guys," he uttered weakly.

"How are you doing, Micah?" Miguel asked.

"Still in pain but okay."

"I'm so glad you're awake Micah," Leilani said.

"Thanks, Leilani."

She smiled at him and then sat down next to Miguel.

All of a sudden, in the corner of their eyes. a screen flashed repetitively like a signal. "Is that my phone?" Micah asked.

Mariana suddenly remembered what she had discovered on it and quickly picked it up. "I'll keep it safe for you so it doesn't get lost."

"Okay, thanks, Mariana."

She smiled and slipped the phone down her pocket while still maintained eye contact.