Chapter 21: Sweet Bliss

Dedicated to Geegervy and Teefabulous ❤️❤️❤️

Amid the night's bliss, a song lightly fluttered by strings floated through the air like a calm wave of the sea. It was beautifully murmured like the sounds of a hummingbird and encroached its way into Mariana's ear, causing her eyes to slowly open.

She was still half asleep but hearing the sweet melody being played, she got out of bed and followed it hastily.

She walked through all the rooms, following the trail of notes, and eventually found Leilani perched at the edge of an open window, with a ukulele in her hand.

"La photo n'est pas bonne mais l'on peut y voir."
(The picture is not good, but you can see in it).

"Le bonheur en personne et la douceur d'un soir."
(Happiness personified and the mildness of the evening).

"Elle aimait la musique, surtout Schumann et puis Mozart."
(She loved music, especially Schumann and also Mozart).

"Comme toi... Comme toi..."
(Just like you, Just like you...).

Leilani continued to sing, and Mariana was in awe of her voice. It was so soft and nurturing like she was singing a lullaby.

Mariana did not want to disturb her, so she stayed hidden in the shadows as her body slowly swayed along to the tunes in a hypnotic state.

"Comme toi que je regarde tout bas."
(Just like you, whom I'm watching in silence).

"Comme toi qui dors en rêvant à quoi."
(Just like you, sleep, dreaming of all kinds of things).

"Comme toi..."
(Just like you...).

Mariana was so mesmerized by the music that she did not realize that the pole she was leaning on was bending and snapped under the pressure, causing her to fall flat on the floor.

Leilani immediately stopped singing, startled by the sudden disruption, and turned around to see Mariana's flushed face on the ground.

"Mariana? What are you doing there?"

"Er, I heard you singing so I came down to listen."

"Wait, so you were standing there the whole time I was singing?"

"Well only for the past few minutes, it was really good though."

"Aw thank you." She blushed and settled her ukulele down. Mariana got up and sat next to her.

"It's such a warm, beautiful night," Mariana said, feeling the wind blow gently past her.

"Yeah, the night is really peaceful, that's one of the reasons I like to come here every night to play my ukulele and sing to my unborn son."

"Does it help you relax?"

"It does. And after that, I can go back to sleep for the rest of the night."

"That actually sounds like a good idea, even though I'll be too lazy to get out and play, although the last instrument I played was a piano and even that was months ago."

"Oh, that's so cool! You can play the piano?"

"Um yeah. My dad got me piano lessons when I was younger but for some reason, I stopped playing it when I was in high school."