CHAPTER 18

Cassidy paced the holding cell angrily. She couldn't believe Wyatt had betrayed her. He had used the fact that she trusted him and then turned it against her. How could he do something like that to her?

"Pacing isn't going to make anything better darling," Judith said from her corner.

Both women had introduced themselves after her questioning. Rocker chick's name was Judith and the arm tattoo's name was Mary. They hadn't mentioned what they were in for, but they were extremely curious about her. From their appearances Cassidy didn't think they were in for anything major. Maybe something like public nuisance or disruption. They were too calm to be in for anything serious.

"I'm too mad to sit still," Cassidy answered honestly.

All she wanted to do right now was punch Wyatt square in his face. How dare he use her?

"The questioning didn't go so well?" Mary asked, from her place on the other bench.

Cassidy shook her head.

"He used everything I said against me," she muttered.

"That's how cops usually are."

"But I thought he was different. I thought he was a good guy."

"That's just wishful thinking darling. All they want is a confession. Give that to them and they'll leave you alone," Judith stated.

"But I didn't do what they accused me of," Cassidy argued.

"What did they accuse you of?" Mary asked, not hiding the curiosity in her voice.

Might as well tell them. She didn't see any reason to hide it. The way Jones was going, Cassidy was going to be transported to a jail cell by this afternoon.

"They're accusing me of murder. But I didn't do it," she added quickly, defending herself.

Both woman looked her up and down.

"Yeah you didn't do it," Judith remarked, shaking her head.

"Definitely didn't do it," Mary added.

Cassidy stared at both women confused.

"How can you know that? The detectives are convinced it's me."

"You don't look like the type to kill someone. I'm sure you can't even hurt an animal. If you did manage to kill someone, and I can already see it being accidental and not on purpose, you would turn yourself in immediately," Judith speculated.

That summary of her character left Cassidy speechless. How was it that these women, who she'd known for only a day could see the truth and the police couldn't?

"If only the police can see that," she said, finally taking a seat on the bench.

"Maybe they're about to," Mary said, looking over Cassidy's shoulder.

Cassidy turned to see the guard opening the door. Chief Potts, Agent Jones, Wyatt and her father walked in.

"Dad. What's going on?" she asked, getting to her feet and walking closer to the bars.

"It seems the detectives have evidence that can prove your innocence," her father answered, smiling.

"See. I knew you weren't a murderer," Judith remarked from behind her.

Cassidy smiled. It was nice to have someone on her side.

She glanced over at Wyatt to find his gaze already focused on her. His face held its normal neutral expression, not giving her a hint at his thoughts.