CHAPTER 23

"Miss Monte is against the press conference?" Chief asked.

Wyatt nodded. His first thought after Cassidy ran out had been to follow her, but he knew that wasn't the important thing right now. And it also wasn't his job to make sure she was okay. His job was to make sure this press conference happened. Therefore, Chief had been the person he had come to see.

"She is. Cassidy doesn't want her past to get out into the media."

"Her past?" Chief asked.

"She doesn't want the media to find out about the abuse."

Jones had given Chief an update on Wyatt's secret interview with Cassidy and everything that she had shared with him.

"I thought as much when I read the files," he stated.

"What?" Wyatt asked confused.

"I read the reports on the fire, especially the medical reports. Both girls had injuries that a fire couldn't explain. Old injuries. I suspected they had been abused."

"Why haven't you asked about it before?" Wyatt asked.

"Asking something like that didn't seem right with me. I tried my best to keep those files away from the Agents as well. Lord alone knows what type of questioning they would have put that poor girl through had they had that information."

Wyatt shuddered just thinking about it. Even when Jones found out about it, he had been quick to accuse Rose. What Cassidy needed right now was someone on her side.

"So, what do we do?" he asked, unsure what the next step would be.

"We should pay Miss Monte a visit."

"What good is that going to do us? She's dead set against it."

"That may be true. But talking it through with her and explaining how this can help us locate her sister and even clear her name should make her a bit more responsive."

"Okay. I'll send Adam over to talk to her," Wyatt said.

Chief raised an eyebrow.

"You're not volunteering to go yourself?"

"You told me I should stay away from her. I'm trying my best to do that."

And it really was his best. He didn't know why, but he felt pulled towards Cassidy. Something about her made him want to make all her troubles go away. He wanted to help her in any way her could.

"So I did. But I think the best person to talk to Miss Monte at the moment is you. She'll listen to you and may consent to the press conference."

"Do we need her permission?" Wyatt wondered.

He tried to ignore Chief's comment about Cassidy listening to him, but it made him smile a little on the inside. He liked that she came to him for advice and listened to what he had to say.

"Technically we don't. But it will make things easier if she's on board with it. Seeing as Rose is a suspect in a murder investigation, we don't need the family's approval before broadcasting her name to the public. I would prefer, however, to not have Cassidy making claims and accusations against the police," Chief explained.

"Okay. I'll talk to her later," Wyatt promised.

---

Wyatt  had been standing outside Cassidy's door for ten minutes now. He wasn't sure what to say to her. Did he explain the press conference more to her? Did he beg for her approval?

Still unsure what he was going to say, he raised his hand to knock. She took a minute before she opened the door dressed in her pajamas, a long pants and crop top with a picture of Santa on it. Cassidy's eyes opened wide as she stared at him.