CHAPTER 10

Wyatt ran his hand through his hair again for what seem like the thousandth time for the day. His feet were bouncing and the tension inside him was just building, not getting any release.

"Where are we Wyatt?" Chief asked, walking into the conference room.

Wyatt snapped to attention and turned to face the older man. Chief looked almost as stressed out as Wyatt. Honestly, he didn't want to have this conversation. They were nowhere. There was nothing to report.

"We used Carl Hunt's list of clients to narrow the field. He has seven families he does repairs for that matches the pattern, but only four of those have a girl child. If we go with the pattern so far, this month's child should be a girl," he explained.

Chief nodded, looking at the information that was scattered on the table and attached to the many bulletin boards.

"Are we confident that Carl Hunt is the killer?" Adam asked tentatively.

Adam was still mapping the recent murders. They were hoping to see a pattern, something that could tell them where the next murder would take place.

"We're not. But we have to start somewhere. If it's not Carl Hunt, we have no idea how the victims will be chosen," Wyatt answered honestly.

If the murderer was Carl Hunt, it meant no one would be killed tonight. There was no way Carl could commit murders from behind bars. However, if the murders did occur, it meant Carl wasn't the killer and they were back to square one.

"Any sighting of Rose Monte?" Chief asked.

"We haven't been able to locate her," Adam answered, dejected.

Wyatt was beginning to feel the same way. There were still no leads on Rose Monte. No idea where she was or even where she had been.

"Do you have anything?" Agent Jones demanded, walking into the room.

Wyatt did his best to hold in his groan. He didn't appreciate having his every move dissected, and that was exactly what these agents had done the moment they got here. They questioned everything Wyatt had done. He knew he was pretty young to be a detective, but he was sure there were other twenty-seven-year-old detectives in other police departments. His age did not mean he wasn't a good detective.

"At this moment we don't. Do you not have anything?" Chief asked.

Agent Field twisted her mouth before she answered.

"This is your investigation."

"That you were sent to help with. Are you saying that since you've been here you haven't found any new information?" Chief prodded, levelling them with his gaze

Wyatt secretly smiled. He couldn't go against the agents as technically they were a higher rank than him. But Chief could do as he pleased. And right now, with no new information, he was not pleased with anyone.

"We, uh, haven't found anything," Agent Jones stammered.

Wyatt had been on the other side of that gaze many times. He knew what it felt like.

"Well I suggest we all get off our asses and look for some new information. It isn't going to magically appear," Chief ordered grumpily, as he stormed out of the room.

Everyone was on edge at the moment. Not knowing if someone was going to be killed, or even where, would set anyone off.

"Have anything to contribute?" Wyatt asked both Agents.

They were simply staring at the information Wyatt had collected. He had yet to see what information the agents had collected. They were being very secretive even though this was supposed to be a joint investigation.