CHAPTER 28

Cassidy jumped as the doorbell rang. She glanced at her phone on the couch and saw it was close to ten. Who was at their door this hour of the night?

Her mother and father were both on the patio, enjoying the night and Seth was playing his new video game. He hadn't left his room all day. Martha was amused and decided not to bother him. She insisted he was still the birthday boy, even if it was a day after his birthday.

Cassidy walked to the door in anticipation. Could it be Wyatt? She had tried calling him earlier but hadn't gotten through. She knew he would be busy with the case today as it was the twenty-seventh. This would be their chance to catch Rose.

She pulled the door open and stared at the person on the other side. It was the last person she would have expected to be at their doorstep.

"Cassie. So wonderful to see you," Rose said smiling.

The shock that was coursing through Cassidy's body changed to alertness and she slammed the door in Rose's face. Rose couldn't be here. Not where her parents were. Not where Seth was.

Rose was quicker though, and jammed her foot between the door and the frame before it could shut fully. She pushed against it with such force, it made Cassidy fly back a few steps.

"Not so fast sister dearest," Rose taunted as she closed the door behind her.

"What are you doing here?" Cassidy asked as she stepped back.

She didn't want to be anywhere near Rose at the moment. The look in Rose's eyes was scaring her. At first glance it looked like happiness, but it was far to sinister for that. Whatever Rose was here for was not going to end well for them.

"I think it's time I met your family, don't you?" Rose asked, walking further into the room.

Cassidy fell back some more. How was she going to warn her parents to run? Martha and Leon could not be in the same room as Rose. There was no telling what she would do them. There was no telling what she would do to Cassidy as well. Was Rose here to kill her?

"No, I don't. I don't want you meeting them."

"Why? Are you ashamed of me?" she provoked.

"Please, leave my parents alone. Whatever you want is between you and I," Cassidy pleaded.

"See that's where you're wrong sister dearest. Your parents have a huge part to play."

Rose continued marching forward, forcing Cassidy back into the living room. Her parents were just outside that door. She tried her best not to look. Rose had no idea where they were. If Cassidy could distract her long enough maybe she might be able to grab her phone and call for help.

She discreetly looked around the living room and saw her phone where she had left it on the couch. How she was going to get to the couch without Rose being suspicious was the hard part.

"What are you talking about? How does my parents have anything to do with you?" Cassidy asked, trying to get Rose to continue talking.

She took another step back, but this time in the direction of the couch. Ten more steps and she should be able to grab her phone.

"I prefer to tell that story with them present so you can see the shame on their faces when they realize what they did to me," Rose seethed.

That made Cassidy pause for a moment. The anger in Rose's voice was easy to detect. And her anger was placed on Martha and Leon. But why? What had they done to her? As far as Cassidy knew, her parents didn't know Rose.

"Oh Martha! Leon! Aren't you going to come and save your darling princess?" Rose shouted, turning as she did so her voice echoed through the whole room.