CHAPTER 5

"So you just let her take photos of confidential data?" Wyatt asked incredulously.

"It's all part of the plan," Chief answer, not batting an eyelid at Wyatt's reaction.

Chief continued drinking his coffee as though they were talking about what to eat for dinner and not the fact that he had leaked confidential data to Cassidy Monte.

"Plan? Is this another plan of yours that I'm not aware of?"

Wyatt was used to Chief being two steps ahead at all times. He always knew what to do and when to do it. It was a scary skill. But it was one that made him a hell of a detective. Even if he was retired now and sitting behind a desk, he was still ahead of Wyatt.

"Did you search through the records of when the Monte sisters were younger?" Chief asked.

Wyatt was momentarily thrown by the switch in topic.

"Adam pulled some records about the fire that killed their parents. There's not much there. The fire was ruled as an accident."

The only mystery was how both sisters had gotten out of the burning house. Neither one knew how but they had both been on the pavement when the firefighters had arrived.

"Did you also look at the hospital records?"

Wyatt knew Chief was about to tell him something that he had no knowledge of. How Chief knew was beyond Wyatt. The man always seemed to know everything.

"I don't believe I looked at them in detail," Wyatt mumbled.

"I suggest you look through them again. There may be some pertinent information in there."

Wyatt nodded. He was sure Chief already knew what the information was but he wanted Wyatt to find it himself. Wyatt mentally made a reminder to ask Adam for those files as soon as he was back at his desk.

"I'm assuming that isn't the only reason you called me in here."

"It isn't," Chief answered pausing.

The man did have a flair for the dramatic.

"I'm sure you've already heard that a team from the National Intelligence Unit is going to be working on the case as well. They've chosen Mayberry as their ground zero work point. I made it clear that this will be a joint investigation. You are going to be the point man for this case."

Wyatt nodded. This was his case. Like hell he was going to give it to anyone else.

"They have a profiler on their team. He's going to try and profile the suspect. I'm assuming they'll want to talk to Miss Monte some more to learn about her sister."

"Any particular reason we're so focused on Cassidy Monte?"

Chief paused again before he answered. He took another sip of his tea, ever so slowly, and then placed the cup back on the table.

"I have a theory that Rose Monte will visit her sister, Cassidy."

"Why would Rose visit Cassidy?"

"That's where working for your living comes in," Chief answered with a smile.

Wyatt shook his head.

"I guess I should get back to doing that then. Since Cassidy's our best bet, I should keep an eye on her."

He pushed back his chair and stood. He was close to the door when Chief spoke again.

"I suggest you start looking where she most likely is."

"And where is that?" Wyatt questioned.

"At the victim's families homes."

---