𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

Start from the beginning

The delicious, sweet smell caught the girls attention so I handed them some money and they eagerly went over to get the drink of their choice. I continued to walk further down to where a group of people were happily dancing away with blue and white ribbons in their hands when I felt someone pinch my sides and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Surprise!" Luke laughed, appearing beside me with a massive grin on his face. "Did I scare you?"

"Me? Of course not!" I scoffed, rolling my eyes at him which made him chuckle. "When did you arrive?"

"Just a few minutes ago. The villagers kindly set up a tent for the royal family but I thought I'd come find you and stay as far as possible."

"Perfect." I agreed as I leaned into him and he didn't hesitate to link my arm with his. The thought of staying away from any royal for the whole day was so pleasing, knowing that I wouldn't be reminded of the whole damn argument all over again!

We both observed the scene ahead, clapping and shouting at the people's dance moves, until Luke suggested to go to the other end where apparently, some children's events were being held so I eagerly followed him over.

"What's all this?" I asked as we neared the spot where children were either dashing about in between the trees, trying on colourful animal masks, playing in the snow or even riding ponies around in a circle. And, the loud laughter was so pleasing to the ear that I was soon grinning all over to the sight of joy on their faces!

"Something that we do every year to remind them what a normal childhood feels like." he smiled but I tilted my head to the side from confusion. "The families here are very strict with their children so they don't have as much freedom as others. The festivals used to be so gloomy because they always missed out, but two years ago, it was finally decided between the royals and the people that the Frost Festival would exclusively be for younglings, as long as the King provided the safety that they needed."

"Well, what a splendid idea." I said in amusement, now realising why Liz wanted me to help her out with the planning yesterday.

"It was my idea actually." he laughed and my head shot up at him in an instant. "I didn't like how unfairly they were treated and always missed out on all the fun so I thought of doing something that would please everyone. It took some time to persuade my father and their families but it all worked out in the end."

"Luke, that is the sweetest thing I've ever seen." I gasped, my heart already melted into the ground.

"Well, I suppose it was only a small gesture but I just wanted them to have this day." he sighed but I shot him a smile, placed my hand on his cheek and stood on tiptoe to give him a kiss, overwhelmed from his words.

"Queen Sophia! Come help us with our masks!" I heard a squeaky voice call so I pulled away and glanced at the little girl who was furiously waving her hand about, before I ran over, leaving Luke to stand there with a smirk on his lips.

The children were quick to gather around me, holding up and showing off their masks and letting out the corresponding animal noises as soon as they tried them on. Some started to play together whilst others had difficulty with putting their 'disguise' on so I helped them with it before I was dragged into a game of tag.

I was more than happy to join in, now that my adrenaline was boosted and I suddenly felt like I was eight years old all over again!

I did stop to gaze at Luke a few times and although he was occupied by talking to some families, he didn't miss in returning a smirk whenever he caught me looking.

"Tag!" a little boy laughed as he smacked my hand causing me to audibly gasp and they all burst out laughing.

They switched games soon enough and now got separated in two groups of just boys and girls. The girls pulled me over to a corner and they began to enthusiastically jump about whilst asking me to braid their hair, and they squealed once I agreed.