𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗

Fourteen more days had gone past now and my wound had successfully healed with only a scar there to remember it by.

I had managed to put the whole Alice incident behind me and nothing else had occurred between myself and Edmund again which seemed to have calmed down all the fear and nervousness inside the castle walls.

I hadn't the slightest idea if Edmund had found out about the death of all three spies but if he had, he had been very quiet about it.

The servants, however, were most disturbed to find their once good friends were indeed the spies so they sort of distanced themselves from each other for a while.

The date to my nineteenth birthday was also nearing and I was most busy going through the letters that my mother had sent, confirming this and that.

The invitations had been sent out and so far, according to my mother, she had received word from almost all guests saying that they would be delighted to join us on the day.

I also agreed to leave Cadeiric two days before my birthday to get everything sorted back in Ocerallia so my mother made arrangements with Queen Liz to have my dress fittings here instead.

"What about that black one?" Mari asked holding up a black and gold ball gown against her and I stuck my head out from behind the screen to have a look.

"No, I'd rather wear something a bit more brighter and cheerful." I mumbled, wrapping a robe around my figure and I stepped out.

I watched my two maids go through the dresses in my wardrobe, picking out a few and throwing it over their arms but nothing seemed to appeal.

Even if I had countless of dresses, all of them had been worn at least once and I hadn't anything new to wear. I had thought about asking someone to make me one but with the party being only two weeks away, it wouldn't have been ready in time.

"Well, how about that blue one? With the silver  pattern on it?" Clara strolled over to the maids and took the dresses off them but I frowned yet again.

I went over and picked a few up, holding them against me when the door opened, and Louise came in with the biggest grin on her face.

"You'll never believe this!" she squealed, causing the girls and I to exchange confused looks. She then looked back at the door just as a maid walked in and in their arms was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen.

It was a ruby coloured gown with long sleeves and a square neckline. A red and black jewelled belt was around the waist, separating the ruffled puffy skirt from its bodice and I stared at it, as if it was something pulled straight out of my imagination.

"Gosh, it's beautiful!" I gasped, going over and pinching the silky fabric. "Where did you get this from?"

"It's for you! An early birthday present apparently!" Louise brought her hands together excitedly and everyone- even the maids gasped.

"Really? From who? My mother?" I asked, tilting my head to the side as I examined it.

"I don't think so. The seamstress that made it works here at the castle and told me to deliver to you. She wouldn't tell me who it was from though."

"Well nevermind that, try it on! What are you waiting for!" Mari eagerly said, snapping her fingers.

She then pushed me behind the screen and passed me the dress so I excitedly changed into it and slipped on a random pair of heels. As soon as I stepped out, the girls all loudly held their breaths and the maids rushed over to button me up.

"How does it look?" I asked, moving my hair to the side but then Clara quickly pulled me to the mirror and my jaw dropped at the sight.

The material hung perfectly around my figure, not a tad too loose or too tight. The shade of red somehow suited my olive skin tone wonderfully well, making my whole complexion seem a whole lot brighter.