How We Should Read The Bible

Recently, a participant in Jumpstart asked me how I am able to see the Bible differently from the way most people do. He asked where I get my wisdom and also asked me to teach them the way I read the Bible. I will share my answer with you kasi baka may matulungan sa inyo.

My wisdom does not come from interpretation but from observation, because I do not read the Bible in order to understand but to obey. You see, I am not an intelligent person, just diligent, so it takes me a long time to understand what I read. But many years ago, because of all the good things God gave me, I made a promise to obey the commandments I read. When I read, I do not ask "why" I should obey but would instead ask "how" I should obey.

The insights I share with people came from observing the benefits I gained after obeying the Lord. Let me give you an example. When I rested our soil in the seventh year, I really did not know if it had any practical benefits. In fact, someone was concerned that I would lose a year's income when I first did it. When the land came out from its rest, I noticed that the crops planted in that land had very little pest problems. It was then I realized that by resting the land you will starve to death the pests that attack your crops.

As I read, I bear two things in mind. First, that God is good and that God will never contradict Himself. So if I see any contradictions, I will continue to read until the Bible explains itself. I avoid reading commentaries because each author has his own bias. Instead, I pray that the Holy Spirit will teach me His ways because this is what Jesus promised in John 14:26 (NASB95)

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

I told the recent Jumpstart class that I am not a man of wisdom, instead I am just an observant person. I will obey first even if I do not understand the logic behind God's command, and then I will try to figure out the benefits of my obedience. And from my observations, I get the insights that I share with friends like you.