chapter 20- the truth..

You're at a loss of words as you take in the sight of the person in front of you

You're at a loss of words as you take in the sight of the person in front of you. For someone who was always so kept together and organized Hotch had looked like a mess. His hair was messy like he had just woken up, he had bags under his eyes, his button up shirt was untucked and the top few buttons were open. The suit jacket he had on was gone and his tie was hanging over his shoulder.

As you look at him in disbelief and confusion, you see his deep dark brown eyes had a glassy look in them. They also seemed to hang low as, bags were also underneath them. Was he about to cry or had he just finished? He finally notices the look you were giving him, his hand comes up to his eyes rubbing them slightly. He then turns away from you leaving the door open as it had seemed like, a way of telling you to come inside. You slowly trail behind him walking inside to follow Hotch, closing the door after you get inside.

He walks to the living room and you notice the mess on his floor. The small blue vase that sat on a small table by the TV was broken, the shards layed on the floor. Hotch ignored it, just grabbing a glass bottle of whiskey.

As he falls onto the couch, you look at him confused at what had happened. He didn't seem like himself, but the complete opposite. Messy, distraught, nonchalant. It wasn't until he brings the bottle up to his mouth swallowing some of the brown liquid that was inside it like it was nothing that you had seen his hand.

"Oh my god, Aaron your hand." You quickly rush over next to him, sitting on the couch as well causing him to let out a chuckle.

"He-Hey it's not a big deal y/n." He reassures you, slurring his words making you notice the drunken state he was in. You reach for his slightly bloody hand, the blood had started dripping from his hand to the floor. The cut wasn't deep like it needed stitches but he definitely needed it to be cleaned. As you reach for his hand, he pulls it away from you, as if was a warning for you to not touch him.

He starts to bring the glass to his lips again, but you snatch it away from him and stand up to place it on the table behind you.

"Give it to me y/n." Hotch says to you in a slurred but stern voice. "No Aaron, you're cut off." You say right back at him with the same stern tone. "God why do you even care?" He says, raising his voice at you. "We're not together, I'm not your boyfriend, I'm your professor for god's sake."

Your eyes widen and your head drops to the floor as a wave of pain in your chest had wash over you, as you couldn't help to feel hurt what he had said. He looks straight at you now seeing you stand in front of him, instantly regretting what he said.

"Y/n I didn't mean-" He starts to sputter, getting up from where he was sitting to walk over to you. As he starts to grab your arm you take a step back, dodging it knowing exactly what would happen if you let him touch you or even get too close to him.

"No, Aaron it's fine. You're right, you aren't my boyfriend. You're just my professor and I'm just your student." You force yourself to now look straight at him, swallowing the lump that formed in your throat. You think to yourself, you honestly didn't even know why you were here. Maybe his friend was wrong? He didn't love you and you had to harshly accept that. You start thinking realizing how stupid you looked.