10

☀︎

"He isn't the one."

"What the fuck do you mean he isn't the one?" Sneering at the man on the other end of the line, I try to squirm tighter against the wall behind me. Ensuring that I stay out of sight at this party, at least for now.

"Mr. Romano stepped down from the mafia a couple of years ago, leaving it to his son, Xavier Romano," Rocco speaks over the phone, he is the biggest help for me and he sought out some information about their mafia. "He isn't in the mafia anymore and you're on the hunt for the wrong Mr. Romano."

"How do I find the killer then?" I ask, trying to get a grip of myself before I barge up to Xavier himself. 

"You need to control those emotions of yours, Ms. Martinelli."

Anger burns through my skin, "Shut the fuck up, Rocco. This is my family, they were slaughtered, I think I'm entitled to some emotions."

"You are, but your emotions aren't controlled right now. You need to be in control, do you hear me?" His harsh tone cuts through the phone. He isn't afraid of me and I won't ever hurt him either, but he needs to stop that tone of his. 

"Tell me, this fucking instance, how I can find Mr. Romano."

"Xavier is the only one who knows where his father is hiding," Rocco speaks, confirming my thoughts. "You need to get closer to the mafia, maybe even place an oath on omertá. Win their trust."

"I won't mess with omertá."

"Do you want your revenge or not?"

"Fuck you, Rocco. Thanks for the help," I say and cut the call. Placing my phone in the thigh holster, ensuring that no one can steal the device I show myself at the party. Eyes pierce me instantly and I ignore them while entering the bar, nodding at a bartender. 

"Bourbon," I say to him. My mind drifts to Xavier, I find myself relieved at the fact that he isn't the killer of my family, but I have no fucking clue why. He is just as bad as his father. 

Not even a second later the bartender hands the drink off to me and I take a sip, my eyes scan the entire room. A lot of dangerous people are in here tonight, leaders of mafias and their second in commands. The evening is hosted by a gang leader in the area, he hosts these parties to celebrate money and waste our time. 

I'm here to snoop and get my intell on a lot of the leaders in the area. 

"Well if it isn't the notorious Ms. Martinelli," A slimy voice speaks from behind me. 

Turning around, my eyes meet the dull ones of a man who should've stopped messing with the mafia a while ago. I loathe him, he is the gang leader hosting this party. Instead I turn to the frightened lady on his arm, "Hello, I'm Martinelli, and you are?"

She looks to Luis and then tries to smile at me, "I'm Savannah, nice meeting you."

"Likewise. Enjoy your evening," I say and leave them at the bar, deciding to mingle amongst the crowd of chattering people. 

Xavier has yet to announce his arrival, but I know he's here. Judging from the amount of dudes standing in each and every corner, one must assume that the leader of the most dangerous mafia is here. He just has to be fashionably late, the drama of this man has me slightly entertained, I must admit. 

Luis stands in front of a microphone with a huge smirk on his face, I instantly know what's about to happen and the thought nauseates me. He taps it twice and clears his throat, ensuring that he has the attention of every person in this very room. I distance myself from the crowd instantly, standing away in the corner while awaiting the dare he has yet to have uttered. 

I know what's coming. 

"Hello, my dearest friends," His voice booms over the crowd, this is all an act. He will dare all of us to do something horrific, none of them will turn it down, the disaster of their reputation tainted speaks volumes. This has happened before and it will happen again. "You've probably heard of my dares before, and of course, tonight will be no different than any other. Are you up for it or do you wish to leave already?" The undertone of mockery has everyone rooted on the spot. 

A sudden shiver dances up my spine when a powerful presence is next to me. "Amore," He says to me in a low voice, the sound has my gut tightening for him and my lips slightly part in surprise. 

Looking to my right, Xavier Romano is standing to my side and staring at me with those black eyes of his. He holds my stare with his, having been away from him for a while has me thinking I must be imagining him here, but this is truly happening. 

Leaning against the wall I tear my eyes away from him again, "Xavier."

"You shouldn't wait around for what Luis has in store for this party," He breathes, his minty breath travels down my neck and I desperately try to ignore how he makes my thighs clench together. 

"You're aware of his plans, I assume."

"I am."

"Why are you here then?" I ask him, meeting his eyes again. 

"Word got around that Martinelli was mingling. I had to see it for myself," The humor on his tone shocks me and I find myself staring at his devilishly handsome features. How his black hair has strands falling down his forehead, how the tempting smirk on his lips has me weak in the knees, his height towering over my own has me feeling things. It fucking messes me up. 

Gasps sound through the party and I'm instantly pulled back to the situation, a chair is placed in the middle of the room. Luis has a firm grip on a crying Savannah, the sight has me clenching my hands in anger. 

"Now, now, don't be so shocked, guys! Take your pick of who you wish to kill and bring them to the chair, give us a show!" He yells through the microphone.