Prologue

Part One - The Philosopher's Stone

Prologue

1991

The halls of Hogwarts were quiet and undisturbed. The only sign of movements were the ghosts floating by every now and then, greeting the paintings on the walls kindly before disappearing into thin air. Somewhere the faint sweeping sounds from Mr Filch's broom echoed through the corridors, but other than that, the wizarding school was quite peaceful - at least until the students arrived in a week's time.

But the peace was all a means to an end as the dramatic swoosh of a cape billowed past the paintings. Some of them perked up at the sight of the person striding past them, some cowered back slightly. They all knew that look on that particular person's face. And his thundering footsteps down the empty corridors only proved how right they were.

 And his thundering footsteps down the empty corridors only proved how right they were

Severus Snape was fuming. Not only would he be surrounded by incompetent dunderheads in a week, but he had to find out from Filius bloody Flitwick about Dumbledore planning on assigning him a co-worker this year. As if teaching a bunch of children who don't even know where bezoars are found wasn't torturing enough, now he had to share his workspace with some amateur professor who'd probably try and correct him on everything is his area of expertise.

"Lemon drop." the Potions Master hissed upon reaching the gargoyle blocking the headmaster's office.

The statue rotated to reveal the spiralling staircase leading to the Headmaster's Towers. Severus' cape billowed angrily as he took the stairs two at a time until he stood in the doorway of Dumbledore's office. The said headmaster was seated at his desk, scribbling away on a piece of parchment and didn't even bother to see who his unannounced visitor was.

And yet, he knew perfectly well who came to see him, "Severus. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?"

The Potions Master stalked forward, his face contorted in anger, "Care to explain why I had to find out from Flitwick of all people about you assigning me a co-worker, Professor?" He said 'co-worker' with so much disdain, it could easily be mistaken for a curse.

Dumbledore was hardly affected by Severus' tone of voice, nor his hard features. The headmaster casually looked up, eyes bright and twinkling, "Ah, so you've heard. I was just on my way to summon you."

"Then allow me to save you both the time and energy... as well as the effort." He leaned down to the headmaster ever so slightly and sneered through his teeth, "I do not need, nor do I want a co-worker."

Albus peered over his half-moon glasses at the potions professor whom he had known since he'd been a boy. Not much has changed in his features since his first year at Hogwarts; he still wore his hair long, still dressed in all black clothing, and he still carried the same air of apprehension about him which could easily scare any soul crossing his path. The only part of him that has changed was his eyes. They lacked emotion, have been ever since Lily's death.

Blinking from his thoughts, Dumbledore slid his chair back and rose to his feet, leisurely circling his desk as he spoke, "It has come to my attention that, for a couple of years now, you have made quite a name for yourself under the students, Severus. Especially the first to third years. And, if I'm not mistaken, you were also a few children's boggarts last year."

Severus shrugged ironically. So the dunderheads feared him, so what? Fear was just another word for respect - an abundance of it. It was still not an excuse to share his workspace with someone who thinks they know how to make potions properly.

"While I cannot change your teaching methods, dear boy, since they are quite brilliant, I cannot have the children leaving your classroom nearly petrified. Besides..." Albus eyed him knowingly, "I think you'll rather like the candidate."

Severus scoffed and crossed his arms, wrapping his cape around him in the process, "And I assume you want me to ask who it is." Seeing the smug look on the headmaster's face confirmed it. The Potions Master sighed unenthusiastically, "Fine. Who is it?"

Dumbledore waved his hand and a piece of parchment came floating towards Severus. He snatched it from the air without breaking eye contact with the headmaster before holding it up to read.

Arlyn Meliora Quinn.

Instantly, Severus recognized the name. How could he ever forget it?

"Ah, you remember her, don't you?" Albus assumed.

"Of course," the Potions Master huffed, "She was a top student, excelled in all her classes, so very typical of a Ravenclaw." However, he left out the fact that she was by far the only student he ever tolerated. Ever. Not only did she performed outstandingly in his class, but she also seemed to actually take a genuine interest in the art of potion-making.

Albus nodded faintly, "She's quite a talented witch, yes. I've been keeping record of her whereabouts since she graduated. I half expected her to become an Auror, with her particular skill set and how well she performed in her DADA classes..." he paused momentarily, something Severus was used to by now although he wished the headmaster could just get on with it already.

Dumbledore shrugged, "But it seems as if Miss Quinn has been travelling, familiarizing herself with the Muggle world these past few years. That is why I find her perfect for the Muggle Studies post since Professor Quirrell have been promoted to Def..." again Albus paused, deciding against finishing that sentence.

The Potions Master squinted ever so slightly, silently daring the headmaster to finish. When Albus remained quiet, Severus added sardonically, "Yes, thank you for informing me of her personal life, but I still fail to see how it is relevant to why we'll be working together."

"It is clear, is it not?" Dumbledore mimicked Severus' signature shrug, "With so few students taking Muggle Studies, she'll have plenty of time on her hands to assist you with the first to third years. I assumed you'd be content being rid of them."

"Have you forgotten," Severus inched towards the headmaster, obsidian orbs glowering, "that this is the Potter boy's first year? How do you suppose am I to keep an eye on him if she would be taking over my classes?"

"Now, I don't think you understood me well, Severus." Dumbledore spoke as he strolled around his office, fidgeting with the piles of books and trinkets laying about, "Miss Quinn will only assist you with the younger students. You will be present throughout the entire class and, therefore, can keep an even better eye on the boy," the headmaster stopped at his chair and slowly sat down, twinkling eyes never leaving Severus', "Besides, I doubt the two of you will spend any more time than that in each other's company. You have nothing to concern yourself with."

Albus picked up his quill to proceed writing. Severus assumed he was dismissed. He scoffed, turned on his heel, and marched his way to the door with his cape billowing after him.

"Oh, and Severus?"

The Potions Master paused with a huff and turned slightly to look upon the headmaster.

"Do try to be civil to Miss Quinn. The two of you will be working together for an entire year, after all."