xv

TW: violence, gore

Sounds of breaking bones and dripping blood echoed around the alleyway. Tao wiped his hand on his shirt, a red stain now adorning it. He squatted down next to his victim, who was lying in a fetal position on the concrete.

"Now," Tao whispered, "I want you to tell me how you knew who we were, and why you were following us. Can you do that for me?"

Shuddering, the man moved his hands to cover his face. "Your Japanese," he muttered, "is sloppy."

Tao stood up in silence. As the man lowered his hands, Tao delivered a quick kick to his side.

"Tao..." Baekhyun crooned. "Don't get carried away. If you continue on like this the man will lose all ability to speak!"

Rolling his eyes, Tao took a step back, allowing Baekhyun to get up close and personal with their stalker.

Baekhyun fiddled with his lip ring. He slipped his switchblade from his back pocket. He played with the tip of the blade, lightly dragging it against the man's chin.

"You seem like you don't fully grasp the situation. Well, let me clarify some things. I will skin you alive, inch by inch, and string your remains above you like lights." Baekhyun threatened. He gave the man a glassy stare, allowing the words to fully sink in.

The man laughed and shook his head. He let out a cough before spitting a tooth out onto the ground. It laid on the concrete, seemingly melting in its blood red pool. "I've faced far worse. That's a nice thought, though."

Baekhyun let out a low growl. Their stalker was being far more uncooperative than they had hoped. They knew he'd been following them for about a day now, but avoided confrontation to remove any suspicion he might have had.

The man was sophisticated and well trained. He knew how to disguise himself in a crowd, and most importantly, he knew how to take a beating. He was experienced. If it hadn't been for Luhan's wise eye, Baekhyun wouldn't have even noticed they were being tailed.

"I thought we'd have gotten farther along by now, but you've brought this upon yourself." Baekhyun murmured, digging the tip of the knife into the man's wrinkling skin. "It's a shame your boyfriend will have to get dragged into this."

The man's eyes widened and his face went pale. He felt his bile rising in his throat. How did they know? He'd done everything he could to keep him out of it. He'd followed every precaution, yet this, this was how it was ending?

"Your naivety will be your downfall, Haru," Tao remarked, running his hands through his hair.

Haru winced when he heard his own name. Tao was right, and that's what hurt the most. He wanted to live out a childish fantasy of love and romance, yet it was costing him everything.

"If... if I tell you what you want to know, will you promise to leave him alone?"

Baekhyun and Tao glanced at each other before nodding.

Haru sighed. He held a hand to his stomach and slowly sat up. Tao and Baekhyun made no movement to stop him.

"Bangtan no longer trusts you. Your payment is in a few weeks and you have little to nothing. I was asked to follow you to make sure you kept on task."

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. "You're not telling me everything." He could see the cracks in Haru's sentences, the pieces in between the words. They weren't getting the full picture.

Haru stayed silent. The words were tugging at his mouth, but his reluctance held him back.

"Haru..." Tao mumbled, a cautionary tone hidden in his voice.