viii

They arrived at the airport at 3 in the morning. However, Ji Ah had been awake since 2 with hazy eyes and a fatigued body.

She knew it was most likely the stress of the situation weighing her down, and—of course—her wounded leg.

They made their way through the crowds of people casually and effortlessly, which was confusing to Ji Ah. When she inquired about their weapons, Jongin had simply told her that they had more in Japan, that bringing them through airport security wasn't worth the risk.

She held onto Jongin as they waded through the sea of people. She was trying to keep up with their pace, but her limp and exhaustion were slowing her down. Jongin kept her close to him, and even offered to carry her. Embarrassed, she declined.

After finally boarding the plane, Ji Ah flopped onto her seat and shoved her bag overhead. She leaned back, closed her eyes, and let out a long sigh, remembering when things weren't as complicated as they were now.

She silently cursed herself. She was sure there were many times she could've made her escape, alerted someone, but she either didn't notice them or didn't have the guts to do so. Her mind was in a swirling haze, and her morals were teetering over the edge.

What in the hell should I be doing? What in the hell am I doing?

She let out a frustrated sigh as the flight attendant passed by, checking her seatbelt. Her eyes wandered until they landed on Yixing, who sat down right next to her. He ran his hands through his hair and briefly closed his eyes, relaxing into his seat.

Bored, she plugged her headphones into the tv strapped to the back of the chair in front of her, and selected a movie.

She was relaxing, getting distracted. She quietly hummed along with the soundtrack, smiling as the main character approached her love interest.

It was only when the plane hit a bit of turbulence and her headphones fell off her head when it snapped.

She'd had a few panic attacks as a kid—a consequence of her anxiety—but hadn't had one in years.

Her stomach did somersaults as her breath hitched in her throat. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't breathe.

She reached her trembling hands up to her neck, holding it tight as she choked for air. Her heart sped up faster, and her body shook.

Her mind raced with thoughts of her own impending death, of the gang, of her entire future.

She let out a cry as her stomach flip flopped and her throat closed off.

I'm dying. I'm dying.

Yixing turned, panicking as she shook in her seat.

"Ji Ah!" He shouted, pulling her hands away from her neck and wrapping his own around them. "Look at me! Ji Ah!"

The other members and passengers looked over, each with concerned looks on their faces. One elderly woman called for the flight attendant.

"Ji Ah, just breathe. I know you can. Look at me and take a big, deep breath," he spoke, his voice softening as her eyes met his.

Her heart rate slowed as he held her hands in his.

Suddenly, she hugged him. She wrapped his arms around him and buried her face in his neck.

Yixing was surprised, but hugged her back, quietly shooing away the flight attendants and running his fingers through her hair.

It was like she'd had enough. She'd been calm and composed these past few days, professional, even. But now, she was breaking down.

His heart dropped into his stomach. This isn't right, he thought. He'd known it from the start, but was too much of an idiot to do anything about it.

"Ji Ah," he whispered in her ear, "after we get back from Japan, I'll help you escape."

She stifled her sobs, pushed herself off him and stared him down.

"Can you hang in there till then?" He asked.

Ji Ah nodded, sitting back down in her chair. She let out a shaky breath and gripped the arm rests.

Just a little longer. Just a little longer.