05 - The Compassionate One

"When darkness comes upon you

And covers you with fear and shame

Be still and know that I'm with you

And I will say your name"

*song of the chapter: Be Still by The Fray*

Evie ran out the house in almost the same state as she had run out of Jace's house earlier that night. Had it really only been a few hours?

She had no clue what had come over her earlier. When she looked in the mirror, into that thing's eyes, all she could think about was Jace and how much she wanted him - how much she needed him - back. When she looked into those deep red eyes she saw all her happiest memories she had spent with Jace. The memories from her fifth birthday party where he had comforted her when Henry had made her cry, to her sweet sixteen when he took her away from her huge party so they could sit under the stars and make up new constellations.

Evie was running further and further away from Ashton's house, and she felt her phone buzzing in her pocket, but she ignored it.

She spotted a park across the road and saw the small play-house thing, the perfect spot for her to go and sob in peace. Obviously no children were there at about one in the morning, so Evie would be alone there, just like she wanted.

She climbed up the steps and crawled through the small door to the house and into the corner. In the little house it was cramped and slightly wet, and Evie could almost feel the darkness in there pressing against her.

Evie closed her eyes, knowing this was a darkness she could control. Even in the light, she could close her eyes and it would be just as dark as it would be at midnight. She liked having control of the darkness, it made her feel less vulnerable, less afraid.

But still, darkness was darkness. With darkness came nightmares, fears, monsters hiding in the shadows. These came with weaknesses, and with weakness comes vulnerability. Everyone has a weakness, everyone is vulnerable, but some mote than others.

Evie, now she had many fears. Most had come in the past few hours since she entered Jace's house, and her most recent fear was herself. She was afraid of what she had almost done to Ashton, of what she had done to Luke. She didn't know if she had control of herself anymore, let alone the darkness.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps on the stairs leading up to the little house. She held her breath, stopping more sobs from escaping her lips, although the tears were still an endless stream running down her cheeks and falling on her knees, which were currently drawn up to her chest. The door was opened, and moonlight suddenly lit up a rectangle on the floor of the tiny house, although the rectangle did not fall on Evie.

The girl saw the figure of a boy outlined against the sky in the doorway. The moonlight was shining in his red hair, almost reflecting off it, and she could hardly see his face.

"Now, what's a big girl like you hiding in a Wendy house crying?" A soft voice said.

She could feel his eyes staring at her, and she just stared right back at him. "I'm waiting for my Peter Pan to fly me off to NeverLand." She replied, and wiped the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hands.

"So, Wendy, it seems to be your lucky day." Evie could see the smile on the boy's face, and she just wanted to scream at him, make him run away before he got hurt.

"Oh, Peter, I am not your typical Wendy." She mumbled, and took his outstretched hand, allowing him to lead her out of the tiny cramped pitch-black house and into the park bathed in moonlight.

Peter Pan put his arm around Evie and they walked together through the park, allowing their legs to walk them in no particular direction.

"So, what are you doing up at one in the morning?" Evie asked the red-haired boy.

He looked down at her, and smiled slightly. "I wasn't tired." He shrugged, and then glanced down at their feet. They were walking perfectly in sync. Right feet, then left feet together. He chuckled. "But I could ask you the same question, what were you up to, my dark Wendy?"

She sighed and shook her head. "I don't know what's happening to me. I'm going out of my own control."

He stopped and looked at her. She was standing with her back to the moon, so when he was facing her he was completely illuminated, bathing in the pure innocent light. She could finally see his green eyes, and they were currently looking at her with and expression of confusion. Instead of asking her what she meant, he just sighed and pulled her into a hug. "Look, Wendy, I know we've only known each other for about five minutes, but I'm going to help your screwed up life get better, even when no one else will, as long as my name is Michael Clifford."

Evie's mouth turned up at the corners into a smile through the tears that were now falling again at his compassion. "And is it?" She chuckled, but her voice was cracking.

He nodded, and looked down at her. "Yes, Wendy, and I'm going to be your Peter Pan and fly you off to NeverLand."

________________________

Kind of short, but there's the Michael chapter for you

And guys, the Peter Pan thing was all inspired because when I typed Wendy house I thought of Peter Pan (obviously)

I don't know, I thought it was cute haha

(vote and comment please?)

Oh and THANK YOU to violentclarke (gosh this amazing person is mentioned a lot in my stories haha) for helping me overcome my writer's block on this chapter and for giving me an idea for it!