08 - The Murderers

*song of the chapter: Home, the cover by Jasmine Thompson*

You got what you wanted. Your boyfriend's murderers are dead.

Evie couldn't tear her eyes away from the door of her house as she climbed out of the car and walked slowly towards it. One foot forward... another... and another...

Soon she was on her doorstep, but the stone beneath her felt different, sticky, slippery. Evie slowly lowered her eyes to her feet, and saw the red blood pooled beneath her. She gasped, but some small part inside her was not surprised.

Your boyfriend's murderers are dead...

She walked slowly forward, stepping inside the destroyed house. As her eyes absorbed the surrounding ruin, tears slipped out of her eyes. It was as if some invisible hand and wiped through the house, going through the walls and knocking everything down.

The photographs that previously hung on the walls were now on the floor, the glass from them shattered and pricking the soles of her feet.

She hesitantly bent down and picked up a photograph that had come out of it's frame. She took in the bright blue eyes, the bouncy blonde curls and the rosy pink cheeks; the happy face smiling up at her was her own. Ten years ago her family had gone to the beach, and she had found a starfish buried in the sand. In the hands of the child in the picture was a huge starfish, it's arms hanging of the sides of the child's hands.

The photograph fell from Evie's hands, and she moved forward, ignoring the broken memories shattered around her. Again, she travelled into the kitchen. She somehow knew that the mirror figure's sense of humour was sick, and involved Evie's heart breaking again.

In the exact same position as Jace had been, her parents lay on the floor of her kitchen. Down to her knees Evie fell, tears falling just as freely and harshly.

The cuts were all in the same places. Her parents had died in the same way as Jace had. Instead of making her feel any better, Evie's wish had hurt her more.

The sobs in her throat were making her hurt, the pounding in her head had come back, more powerful and stronger than ever.

What's wrong? You got what you wanted. Your boyfriend's murderers are dead.

Her parents were dead.

Your wish has been fulfilled.

Her head hurt.

You should be happy.

Her throat hurt.

You got what you wanted.

Just make it stop! Make the pain stop! Everything hurts, make it go away. It hurts too much. Please, make it go away.

Is that what you want? I can make it all go away, Evie. I can make it stop hurting.

She knew what she was doing was wrong, the butterflies in her stomach were churning up her thoughts and feelings, everything had been turned upside down. She knew what she was doing would make everything worse, but all she knew in that moment was that she didn't want to be crying anymore, she didn't want to be hurting anymore.

Yes, she wanted it all to go away.

I'll make it all go away.