02 - The Generous One

Song of the chapter: The Weight of Us by Sanders Bohlke

Evie raced out of the house screaming, her heart receiving another burst of adrenaline as it pounded just as fast as her legs were carrying her out of the house.

As she reached the pavement outside the house, she stopped and almost collapsed on the ground then and there. Her throat was raw from her screams and her breaths were coming in short sporadic bursts.

Suddenly her torment was interrupted by a teenage dark-haired boy. He tapped her on the shoulder gingerly and she took a deep breath before turning around with a failure of a smile on her face.

"Are you alright?" He asked her, scuffing the toe of one of his vans shoes on the pavement beneath them.

She sighed. How could she lie to a boy as cute as him? "Not really."

"Do you want to come and use my shower?" He offered generously, a kind smile brightening up his features, and she couldn't help but try and smile back. But as soon as she remembered the sight of Jace on the floor her smile faltered, and her face returned to the deadened look. "My parents aren't home, so you won't be badgered." He added as her saw her smile waver.

"That is really kind of you, thank you." She accepted his offer and he led her to his house, the house next door from her boyfriend's.

He showed her where the bathroom was and she thanked him again before entering and locking the door behind her.

She didn't allow herself to collapse until she had stripped and gotten in the shower. She slid down the wall of the shower and pulled her knees up to her chest, allowing the warm water to fall on top of her as she sat on the floor of the shower and cried. She couldn't tell what drops of water were from her eyes and what ones were from the shower head towering high above her.

Her boyfriend was dead. Her friend of seventeen years was dead. The boy who had asked her out by sending her a cake with the writing 'I love you, will you go out with me?' on it in sparkly purple glitter icing was dead. They had both loved each other since they were thirteen, she just hadn't realised that that was what she was feeling, until he had told her by sending her that stupid cake.

She finally stood up after her eyes were stinging, and she tilted her head up to face the shower head.

That was when she noticed the first blonde curl fall to the floor of the shower. She bent down to pick it up and examined it with shaking hands.

One perfect curl had fallen from her head.

Then she noticed the next one and the next one, all falling out and being carried down the drain by the steady stream of water.

She put her hand up to her head but felt no bald patches, she still had her hair.

Her head was spinning with a blinding headache as she attempted to make sense of the situation, and then she brought some of her hair which was still in her head so that she could see it.

It was black, and straight. She now had black hair which was perfectly straight.

But her attention was brought away from her hair as she felt the water suddenly become much hotter, and it turned red, and thicker than water. She screamed as the scorching red blood touched her skin and she clambered out of the shower, dripping and shivering as the sudden realisation of what had just happened hit her.

"Are you okay in there?" A confused voice said from the opposite side of the door.

She turned towards the door. "Y-yeah. Sorry, it just got a bit too hot." She made up an excuse and bit her lip. She hated lying.

"Okay. Well, I have some clothes that you can borrow if you want. They're from when I was younger, so they should fit. I'll just leave them outside the door." He said. Gosh, he was so kind.

"Thank you so much. I'll be out in a second." Evie replied.

Then she heard his footsteps go down the stairs and she turned back to the shower. It was back to water again, and she squinted her eyes at it. She looked down at herself and saw no bloodstains from the previous incident. She must be loosing her mind or something.

She got back in the shower and calmed herself down, clearing her mind of the confusion that she was feeling.

She then quickly grabbed the boy's clothes and got changed. Evie had always loved wearing boys' clothes, they were so comfy and they were the only clothes she didn't feel self-conscious in.

She went downstairs in the boy's big black nirvana shirt and grey jogging bottoms.

"Hey." She said when she joined him in the living room.

He looked at her and smiled when he saw her wearing his clothes, but then the smile disappeared when he saw her hair. "What happened to your hair?" He asked her, his face a huge expression of surprise.

"Um... I d-dyed it." She replied hesitantly.

He raised and eyebrow but then just shrugged and patted the seat beside him. "So what's your name?" He asked as Evie sat down next to him.

"Evie." She replied.

"Hi Evie, I'm Calum, and you have officially made a new friend." He grinned at her.

She tried to smile back. Honest to god, she did. But it just wasn't possible. Not with everything that had happened that day.

___________________

How's it going? Are you enjoying it?

So Calum has officially made an appearance in the story! I was going to make it Michael, but then I realised I said Calum was the generous one in the prologue, so it's Calum this chapter.

The other boys will come in the next few chapters! :)

Please remember to comment and vote!