01 - The Beginning

I just want to say that the prologue was jumping ahead, so now we're going back in time to before the prologue

This chapter's song: Amen Omen by Ben Harper

The blonde girl flew through the door to her house, running into her mother's open arms with the biggest smile plastered on her face.

"How was it, Evie?" Her mother asked.

"It was amazing! He was such a gentleman, and so kind and so so so romantic!" Evie gushed, pulling away from her mother and spinning around in circles as she recalled the first year anniversary date her boyfriend had taken her on.

"Don't do that, you'll get dizzy." Her father's amused voice sounded. She stopped spinning and stared at her father.

"Dad?! You're back?" She exclaimed.

Her father nodded, his green eyes shining with joy at the sight of his daughter after six months away.

"I missed you so much dad!" Evie exclaimed.

Her dad was finally back.

All thoughts of Jace vanished from her mind, just at the sight of her father. He had left on a 'business trip', not that she knew what her father's job was. Neither her mother nor her father would tell her what he did for his job, but she didn't care.

All she cared about was the pain she felt whenever he left.

"I missed you too, Eves." He smiled at her, and pulled her into a hug. Her mother stood on the sidelines, watching with a blank expression.

Joy was the kind of mother who would do anything to keep her daughter safe. And if that included keeping her husband's secret from Evie, she would do it. They couldn't let Evie know what kind of danger her father put himself and others in almost every day.

But in the end, it wouldn't really matter to any of them.

* * *

Evie slowly walked up to the door of her boyfriend's house. She saw his car in the driveway, but not his parents' car.

She wanted to see him one more time today. It was their one year anniversary, and they deserved to have a romantic dinner together. She had booked a last minute reservation at the most romantic restaurant in town, and intended to take him there.

She knocked on the door, but found it was already open. She slowly pushed the door all the way open, and her mouth dropped wide open as she took in her surroundings.

The hallway was a wreck. The display table was knocked over, and the trophies her boyfriend had won from all his tennis tournaments were in pieces on the floor. In the mirror was a long crack, and blood was splattered in little drops between the different pieces separated by the cracks.

Her breath hitched in her throat as she saw the trail of blood leading into the kitchen.

She followed the drops of blood, feeling like Hansel and Gretel when they were being led in the wood to their deaths by their father.

In the kitchen she found something far, far worse than the hallway.

Two different bodies lay on the floor. One was a huge, muscly man who looked at least twenty years older than her. His throat was a red, bloody mess and it made her want to throw up. She had never seen the effects of such violence, and the possibility that it was her boyfriend's fault was devastating.

The other body made her fall to the ground with the feeling that her heart was being ripped out of her chest.

The other body had the same features as her boyfriend. Her boyfriend who had bought her flowers when her ex had cheated on her. Her boyfriend who had been her best friend since they were five years old. Her boyfriend who had the most beautiful face she had ever seen.

But that face was now mauled and destroyed. There was a huge gash over one of his icy blue eyes, and his lips were cut and bleeding. His hair was matted with dry blood, and on the floor by his hand was a bloody knife.

She crawled towards him and a shaky hand reached out to stroke his bloody cheek. She moved some bits of brown hair out of his face, and a few sobs forced their way out of her throat. Every cry felt like a million razor blades were cutting up her throat. She wouldn't be surprised if she saw her heart on the floor on the opposite side of the room, she really felt like someone had ripped it out and thrown it at the wall across the kitchen.

Her hand then closed his eyes, and she rested her head on his chest and let the tears fall down her cheeks.

"I love you, Jace. I have always loved you, and will always love you." She whispered with a hoarse voice.

She stood up, and began to walk out of the kitchen. As she made her way out, she gave the man lying on the floor a few heartless kicks.

"I will find your partner. Whoever did this to my Jace will be punished. I will find a way." She hissed at the lifeless body, and walked briskly towards the exit.

As she passed the broken mirror in the entrance, she looked in it. What she saw scared her to the point where she almost couldn't breathe. Her face had dried blood on it from leaning on Jace's chest, tear stains running down from her eyes, and her blonde hair was matted and coloured a dark red at the front.

But what scared her the most was not her appearance, but something that showed behind her in the mirror.

When she looked behind her, she could not see it, but in the mirror was a dark outline of a figure. When she first looked at it, she thought it was black, but when she looked closer at it she saw a red tint in the dark colour. She then saw the gaping hole in her chest, but when she looked down at herself it wasn't there. She glanced back at the mirror with wide, scared eyes, and her breathing quickened as she saw what the figure was holding.

In the figure's hand was a beating heart.

________________

I cried writing this oh my lord.