04 - The Loyal One

Ashton offered to walk Evie home. She tried to argue, but he insisted. Sighing, she gave in and let him walk with her to her home.

As they walked in silence, Evie realised that maybe she did not want to go home. She realised that going home would raise all sorts of questions from her parents. She would have to explain everything.

"Ashton." She said seriously, stopping and putting a hand on his arm to stop him as well.

"What's up?" He asked, adjusting the box of now quiet kittens in his hands.

"I... I can't go home." Evie admitted to him, dropping her eyes to watch her shoes.

He ran his eyes up her body, taking in the outfit she was wearing. "So that's why you're wearing guys clothes, huh?" He bit his lip, and his eyes sparkled as if he was laughing at her.

She rolled her eyes at his assumption, but then realised it was better if he thought it was that than if he knew the actual truth. "Yeah." She replied, her voice monotone.

"Wait, so it's not that?" Ashton said. Evie's eyes snapped up to meet his. How had he guessed that so easily?

She sighed and shook her head. "No, it's not."

"Well, what is it then?" He asked.

"I can't tell you." She replied bluntly, avoiding eye contact.

Ashton let out an annoyed sound and rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Well, where do you want to go, then?"

"Anywhere that isn't my house." She answered. To be honest, she just wanted to ditch him and leave town by herself.

"We can go to mine?" He offered. "I was going there just now before you jumped into the middle of the road." He chuckled as if it was a long forgotten memory he had just remembered. "One of my friend's staying over tonight, he'll probably be there already."

Evie sighed. Another guy's house, and a new guy to meet. She sounded like such a slut. But this was her only option, and it seemed safer than if she left town on her own.

After she agreed to Ashton's offer, Evie allowed him to show her the way to his house. They got in his car which he had parked around the corner from where they were. He put the box of kittens in the boot while Evie sat in the passenger seat.

It was a ten minute drive, and it was on a road which had very few houses on it. His was huge. Like, huge. It was just a tiny bit too small to be classified as a mansion, but it looked like it could house about twelve people in it.

She got out of the car and stared up at the house. What kind of family did he belong to? How did they have enough money for this?

A blonde boy came running out of the house and stopped right in front of Ashton and Evie. His bright blue eyes were shining at his curly haired friend as he stood there.

"Hi Ash! Who's this?" He asked, his eyes falling on Evie.

"I'm Evie." She replied for herself, and the blonde boy smiled at her.

"Hi Evie, I'm Luke, a friend of Ashton's." He introduced himself. Then he whispered to Ashton in a not-so-quiet voice, "she's hot man, you scored."

Ashton burst out laughing and Evie stared at her feet as she felt the deep red blood rush to her cheeks.

"Sh-shall we go inside?" Evie mumbled, and started walking towards the big brown wooden door before the other two could answer.

"So, Evie. How old are you?" Luke asked her. She looked at the curious boy with a you-don't-know me look, and he chuckled. "Just asking." He added, putting his hands up in the air.