12 - The End

*song of the chapter: Terrible Things by Mayday Parade*

I couldn't tear my eyes away from the body lying on the white bed. We were in a hospital, and the sound of the heart monitor was driving me insane.

Evie had gone through so much with us. So why did this have to happen to her? Why did she have to go and take so many pills? Why did she have to try and kill herself?

The doctors had given up. They had tried everything to save her, but all we could do now was sit and listen to her heartbeat fade away. It was so faint right now, me and the boys were just staring. I could see in Ashton's eyes all he wanted to do was punch the heart monitor until it was in pieces.

The story of him and Evie was adorable. They had met in an animal shelter, cats specifically. She came every day - apparently - and Ashton had always seen her, but she had never noticed him. But this one time, she came in with swollen eyes and puffy cheeks.

Ashton, being Ashton, had gone and asked her what was wrong. All she told him was that she wanted to adopt a cat, give it a chance.

Ironic, since her boyfriend hadn't given her a chance before he broke up with her about an hour before she appeared at the shelter that day.

The funny thing was, when Ashton and her finally became a couple about a month later, he winded up taking care of the cat.

I stared at Ashton, sadness filling my heart as I watched the never-ending stream of tears drip from his cheeks and stain the blanket covering his girlfriend's body. He was watching the life drain from her pale face.

He was kneeling beside the bed, his hands holding her delicate small ones as he watched for any sign of movement. But there was none. There was only the rise and fall of her chest, taking breaths always decreasing in depth.

I then remembered my first meeting with Evie. I had been out with Ashton, and then she appeared. We had bumped into her in M&S, and she had instantly blushed when she linked gazes with Ashton. It was adorable, and from then on I vowed I would be the reason they would get together.

I had immediately bombarded her with questions, which Ashton rolled his eyes at. I wanted to know if she was perfect for my very best friend.

And she was, until her home life began to go wrong. Her dad was involved in pushing around drugs, and her mother was always trying to protect her from it, from him.

We later found out that it was the drugs that Jace had obtained from her father that caused him to break up with her.

To retaliate against her parents, Evie did small things. First, she died her hair black, and then she began to push her parents out of her life one bit at a time. She threw out the pictures of them that were in her room, and she started going out with Ashton and I more often.

There was one fateful day when she met both Michael and Calum for the first time when she snapped. She had a huge argument with her parents, and when we came to her house later we found it in a complete wreck. She had left the house in a rush, the door was open and her parents were gone as well.

There were photos smashed on the floor, vases smashed, and one mirror in the hallway cracked into tiny shards so our reflections were jagged when we looked in it.

According to Calum, he had met her when she was running down the pavement away from her house. They bumped into each other in that cliché way in movies, and he offered to take her to the park to calm down. He now promises Ashton he had no intention of making a move on her that day, and whenever he says that Ashton just huffs and rolls his eyes.

Michael met them there, and he managed to put a smile on Evie's face when Calum couldn't. Him and Evie had always been the closest, he could always cheer her up, no matter the situation.

Three months after that day, we were here, Evie having taken an overdose of some of her dad's drugs that she had found in her house.

We had thought it was going okay, we thought we had almost fixed her, but she obviously hadn't been fixed.

God Evie, why?

Tears streamed down our faces as the beeps got further and further apart, fainter and fainter. I stood up and almost walked out of the room, I didn't want to witness this, but I felt Michael's hand grab my arm. I turned and faced him, the pain in my heart spreading to every inch of my body. I shook my head at Michael, the tears flying from my face.

He took me in a hug and the other two joined. We sobbed into each other's shoulders and gripped each other tightly as we heard the last beep turn into one long one.

"The subconscious is an extraordinary thing," a voice said from behind us.

We turned around to see Evie's doctor with a sad expression on his face.

None of us understood what he meant by that, so we said nothing. But then again, none of us noticed his red eyes, either.

// If you have any questions (which you probably do because I have not explained this well) just ask in the comments //