03 - The Optimistic One

*song of the chapter: Pumpin Blood by NONONO*

Evie left Calum's house after they had exchanged numbers (which he had insisted they do) and watched one show of The Big Bang Theory. The now black-haired girl didn't laugh once.

As she walked down the road, Evie realised she couldn't cry anymore. She had run out of tears, and she couldn't cry over her best friend and boyfriend anymore. How sad was that?

She suddenly noticed a box of kittens in the middle of the road, and a figure running off, away from the box. She spotted a car approaching and all of her options ran through her head in a split second.

1) she could just walk away as if she hadn't seen it

2) she could stand there in shock and not move, her eyes trained on the little box of wailing kittens

3) she could yell at the person running away

4) she could run and try and push the box out of the way of the car, and maybe actually get out of it without getting run over (very very slim chances of that...)

But to be honest, she was not in the mood to be worrying about her life's safety.

So of course she chose option four, and ran right into the middle of the road, and her arms closed over the box. She heard the car's horn and flung the box to the grass on the side of the road by the pavement.

Just before the car hit her, Evie felt arms wrap around her and she was suddenly flying through the air in the arms of someone incredibly strong.

The two hit the ground with a thump and a rush of air flew out of Evie's lungs. She turned on the grass to her saviour and glared at him. His brown wavy hair was messy and his hazel eyes were shining at her as his lips curled up into a smile.

"Why are you glaring at me? I just saved your life." He said to her, his smile wavering and his eyes clouding with confusion as he pushed himself up onto his elbows and stared at her frowning face.

"Maybe I didn't want to be saved." She replied.

He sighed and his eyes then turned sad. He showed so much emotion on his face, and Evie was confused. Why was he so trusting of people? Why would he show everyone what he was feeling all the time? Emotions make you vulnerable. "There's always a reason to stay around, girl. You just haven't figured it out yet." He replied, and then his happy smile returned to his mouth. "And you have to be around to save all the other abandoned kitties." He giggled.

Evie rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She shook her head and stood up, finding all the kittens who had flown out of the box as she threw it and returning them to the box before setting it upright and leaving it in the grass.

"Aren't you going to keep them?" He asked.

"Hell no. I don't want a bunch of happy kittens in my house." She replied, shaking her head stubbornly. Then she added in her head, they're just like you. That's pretty much exactly what he was like, a happy kitten. Or maybe a happy puppy?

He laughed and nodded. "Okay, maybe I'll take them back to my place, I could sell them. I'm sure there's someone who would take them." He said to himself, rubbing a hand over the stubble on his chin thoughtfully.

Evie shrugged and then started walking away, but he called her back and she sighed, turning back around to face him.

"What's your name?" He questioned her.

"Evie." She answered.

"Hi Evie, my name's Ashton." He giggled.

"Hey Ashton. Why are you so cheery all the time?" Evie asked him.

"Oh, I'm not cheery. I'm just optimistic." He answered with a smile aimed at her.

____________________________

Kind of short, but oh well. I'm supposed to be revising now... oops.