Chapter 46: Our Spring Comes To An End

Start from the beginning

"Why can't they just reserve seats for each team so we don't hafta run??" Kagawa groans as she, Y/N and Inoue quickly follow behind, dodging the passer-by's as they smile sheepishly.

"Because each team is gonna be standing in the stadium." Y/N deadpans as they finally find a place with a good enough view. "Besides, they only really care about the players and coaches anyways. Tournament really said manager lives don't matter."

"We live in a cruel world..."

"At least yer aware."

"Is the ceremony for the Spring Tournament any different from Interhigh's?" Inoue asks as Y/N glances at her.

"Slightly. The closing ceremony is lil' different." Y/N shrugs. "They congratulate the victors first, like Interhigh, and then awards are given to the best 6 players, the best libero, the overall best player and the best coach."

"Ohh I see!" Inoue gasps as Kagawa laughs.

"Yep~ and they have a different theme song every year~"

"Wait, shh! It's startin'!" Y/N shushes them as they pay attention to the teams as they enter the stadium.

"Thank you for waiting. We will now begin the closing ceremonies for the National High School Volleyball Tournament, otherwise known as the Spring Tournament."

"The championship flags are now entering, and the 47 representative schools from across Japan are now entering as well."

Watching as each school gets announced, it feels surreal as the tournament comes to a close. Y/N tries to concentrate and pay attention, but she can't help but feel a little restless. She's waiting for her team to be called afterall.

"Hyogo Prefecture's representative, boys, Inarizaki High School."

The Inarizaki team follows Kita as they enter the stadium, who's holding the Hyogo sign high as he leads them. Y/N can't help but take in a deep breath as she slowly exhales.

It's bittersweet, watching as Kita leads his team for the last time, standing proudly as he holds the Hyogo sign, representing their school and prefecture.

Is it painful? Does it hurt? Maybe it does.

But seeing Kita's faint smile as he stands with their team, makes her feel like things are okay. Things are fine.

"And now, I present this award to the victors, Boy's Division. Shizuoka Prefecture Representative, Ichibayashi High School. Concluding the National High School Volleyball Tournament, otherwise known as the Spring Tournament, your team has emerged victorious. I present you this award in acknowledgement of your commendable performance."

The host hands the certificate over to Ichibayashi's captain as the closing ceremony officially begins.

And just like that, their Spring Tournament comes to an end.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

The bus back to Hyogo is unusually quiet, probably because the excitement of the Spring Tournament has finally drained as the Inarizaki team sits in comfortable silence, occupied by their own thoughts. The odd calmness is welcome of course, because there's no telling how long it'll last.

Y/N looks through her sketchbook as she analyses every page, taking note of her improvement over time as well as various style changes. It's always refreshing to look through old drawings and sketches, discovering and reminiscing the past and the efforts you'd put in previously, even if you cannot completely remember.