ONE: sunset curve

Start from the beginning

"Ugh, what is she handing out?" Flynn asked.

"Desperation?" Julie guessed.

Carrie then walked up to them and handled the three girls flyers. "Here you go. My group's preforming at the spirit rally tomorrow. I'm sure you guys have nothing better to do."

"Oh my gosh, Carrie, thanks!" Flynn exclaimed in a fake-excited tone.

Carrie put a hand on her chest. "Oh my gosh, Flynn, don't bother coming!"

She turned and strutted off, handing more flyers out to people. Flynn crumpled up her flyer in her fist. Emilia rolled her eyes and folded hers up to place in her pocket. Once she noticed Julie staring wistfully at Nick, Carrie's boyfriend and Apollo's best friend, she raised an eyebrow.

"Nick?" Flynn inquired incredulously. "Still? You know they're gonna get married and have a bunch of unholy babies."

"Nick's a sweetheart," Julie argued.

"Yeah, you'd actually have to talk to him to know that. And only one of them has to be a demon to make a demon baby." She then looked right at Carrie. "Demon!"

Emilia laughed slightly. "Julie's right. Remember that one time he and I were partners to write a song in music class? He literally incorporated so many ideas and we ended up getting a really good grade."

Julie nodded in agreement with a smile.

Flynn pointed at her face. "There's that smile. Now, let's go prove everybody wrong."

After Julie closed her locker, all three of them walked to music class. They sat down next to each other and waited for class to begin. Mrs. Harrison then walked in the room and began to announce who would be performing today. Emilia had already gone the day prior, singing an acoustic rendition of Getaway Car by Taylor Swift on the piano. Mrs. Harrison first called up Nick, who absolutely shredded it on his blue electric guitar. Emilia clapped along with the rest of the class when he finished.

"Nice job, Nick," Mrs. Harrison praised. "Almost as impressive as your game against Glendale."

Nick and a couple of his lacrosse friends chuckled.

"Okay, we have one last performance," Mrs. Harrison announced while Nick went to go unplug his guitar. "Julie."

Julie looked up nervously. She stood up and placed the hat she was wearing onto her chair. Emilia quickly glanced at Flynn in concern as she watched Julie slowly place her sheet music down on top of the piano and sit down.

"Take your time," Mrs. Harrison told Julie softly.

With a deep breath, Julie opened the piano to reveal the keys. She placed her fingers on the keys gently before quickly retracting them. Emilia's eyes widened and she stood up along with Flynn.

Julie got to her feet and shook her head. "I'm sorry."

"Is this when we clap?" Carrie questioned.

Mrs. Harrison turned and gave her a look. Julie rushed out of the room and into the hallway.

"Watch it Carrie," Flynn scolded.