Chapter 42 - Beg (18+)

When the collar released me and I could move again, stand, when my chest unlocked and I could get breath in, Malachi was gone and Jordan was healed. Ailech made some excuse to leave immediately as well, leaving Jordan and me alone in the gymnasium.

She had bloodstains running down her front, still wet and too bright, but I imagined I didn't look much better. I could feel my hair and shirt damply clinging to me like I had gotten caught in a storm. My throat was raw, and my palms were sliced from gripping the collar's edges too hard, every current pulsing my fists around the curved edge. Jordan's worried eyes didn't make me feel any better.

"I'm fine. My Red Shift just got the better of me. I got him to call me James though, did you hear?"

She ignored my words completely, and her jaw was set as she marched across the gym's floor to me, her footsteps echoing in the cavernous, empty room. I thought she was going to hit me from the look on her face, and I braced for it. But when she got within reach of me, she threw her arms around my neck instead, one hand running down my back as the other twined into my wet, messy hair, her face hidden in my chest.

"I never want to hear that sound come from you again. I want this collar off."

Her muffled voice spoke into the crook of my neck, and from the way she was curled into me, she seemed so small, even though I knew she wasn't, and I still wasn't my natural weight again either. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her into me further, feeling her warm curves and strong lines fit against me like we were created to be standing just as we were. I couldn't remember the last time I had been hugged like that. Not like Kael's crushing bear hugs, or Jordan after she discovered Ambriel, but having someone's body sealed to mine, holding them just as tightly as they held me, feeling as one. I lifted her chin, coaxing her face up to look at mine, her gray eyes shone like silver but her brow was set with determination and another emotion I couldn't quite place.

"It won't happen again, I promise."

My voice sounded different, even to my own ears, husky and thick, but her looking up at me like she was made something stir in me and my heart hit harder. I could see she was about to say she wanted the collar off now...but I didn't, not quite yet. Not when it could solve a secondary problem. Not when I could use it to my own advantage, and her protection.

Instead of letting her voice her objection, I leaned down and met her lips, finally recognizing the feeling in me; hunger. I crushed her into me as I moved my hands lower so I could lift her. For a second I wondered how she would react. What was I even doing, and why? Did she want this too? Was I supposed to ask?

I got my answer as I heard the gym doors slam shut from a gust of warm wind that moved through the room like a controlled cyclone. Her legs wrapped around me, and her hands wound up into my hair from the base of my neck up my scalp until she had a handful and was pulling me into her too. I growled as she tightened her grip, and I felt a shiver run the length of her spine.

She tasted so light and sweet and fresh, like the clear air she drew power from, but her touch warmed me like flames hid beneath her fingertips, burning me with the most exquisite pain. She was ecstasy twined with fire fanned by her breath, power laced through her every movement. Power over me. But even with my past, I wasn't afraid of giving her that power. In that moment, she could have anything she wanted from me. I trusted her, and with the collar I trusted myself, knowing it wouldn't let me go too far like our last attempt. I smiled into the kiss as I silently thanked Abraham for his punishment.