Ch. 46

The first thing Roman heard was Virgil. The first thing he was truly aware of was Virgil.

"--thinks he can break up with me? No. No, he can't do that." Virgil was muttering to himself. "Selfish. He's selfish."

The next thing he was aware of was his hands. They were tied to whatever he was leaning against. Based on the texture, Roman was certain that it was a tree. Virgil seemed to have bound him to one of the roots. The tree was quite large, so the root was too heavy for him to move.

Finally, there seemed to be tape crudely placed on his mouth.

He cracked an eye open, taking in his surroundings. It was dark, how long had Roman been out? He instinctively released a groan when a dull pain started throbbing in the back of his head.

Virgil turned to him, a wild look in his eyes. He gently smiled. "You're awake." He walked over to him. Roman tried to move his head away, but Virgil caressed his cheek anyways. "I was afraid I'd broken your neck, or something."

He gently placed a kiss on the duct tape that was covering Roman's mouth. "I'm glad I didn't."

He backed away, plopping down in the spot in front of Roman. "I considered a lot of ways to do it, y'know. To kill Logan." He mumbled. "I've considered sneaking into the hospital, replacing his isotonic fluid with pure water. There's no guarantee that would kill him, though. Too risky."

He shrugged. "I tried to sneak into the hospital once anyways, but they caught me. Made up the classic excuse that I wanted to visit my brother, and they told me to come back the next day."

"Well, whatever, it won't matter what Logan has to say anyways. Everything ends tonight." He stood up, stretching. "You've surely noticed where we are, right? My special place." He smiled. "Well, our special place."

Virgil had taken him here after Logan was attacked. Roman remembered.

Virgil pulled something out of his pocket. He flicked his wrist, and a blade was in his hand. A pocketknife.

"This is the knife I used on Logan, y'know." He mumbled lowly, examining it. "It's a shame, really. Our blood will be mixed in with his."

Roman furrowed his brow, confused. Virgil cooed at him.

"Aww, you're adorable." Virgil chuckled. "Surely you've figured out what's going on?"

He leaned closer to Roman, smirking. "I'm going to kill you." He whispered in his ear.

Roman felt his blood run cold, eyes widening. He went pale, terror sinking into his bones.

Virgil pulled away and laughed. "Come on, don't make that face! I'll make it quick." He gently brushed a piece of Roman's hair out of his face. "This world has tainted you, Ro. These people have tainted you." He tilted his head. "Don't worry, I'll be coming with you. The two of us can meet again in the next life."

A murder-suicide? Virgil was planning a murder-suicide?!

"Oh no, don't cry." Virgil frowned, seeing that Roman was instinctively tearing up. He gently wiped some tears when they began to fall. "So pretty." He cooed.

Roman shook his head, trying to move himself away but only pushing himself up against the tree.

"Hey, calm down. It's alright." Virgil tried to soothe him. "I'm sorry things had to be this way, Ro. Just know that I'm doing this for us. So we can be happy."

He looked at the blade, tsking. "Shoot, it's dull." Virgil cursed. "Well whatever, that gives us a little more time to hang out." He picked up one of the rocks, beginning to use it to sharpen the knife.

Virgil hummed, smiling gently. "I'm really glad I met you, Ro. No one's ever treated me like you have. They all viewed me as a sex doll." He glanced at Roman. "But when you looked at me, you were different. That's why you interested me. Not that bullshit answer I gave you before."

He sighed. "I adore you. You truly, truly brought love into my life. I'm eternally grateful for that."

Roman whimpered, keeping his eyes on the blade in Virgil's hands.

Virgil noticed, and chuckled. "Relax, okay? I'll make it as painless as possible. It'll be like drifting off to sleep."

Roman didn't wanna die. He was only sixteen. He wanted to follow in his mother's footsteps. He had dreams, he had aspirations. He didn't wanna leave Remus and his father behind. He wanted to stay with them, for a just a little longer.

Is this what Janus felt? What Logan felt? What Emile felt? This overwhelming sense of dread, mixing itself with sheer terror.

For awhile, the only sound in the air was Virgil sharpening his knife. "I'm not even sure if this is working, it seems to be." He murmured. "If the blade is too dull, it'll be painful. I wouldn't want you to feel pain, Ro."

Oh god, Roman was going to die.

This was really it.

A/N:

AND THAT'S THE END OF THE BOOK!

Thank you so much for reading!

PFFT KIDDING! We're close to the end, though.