Ch. 34

Remus drove Patton home, despite his insistence that he could walk. The drive was mostly silent, neither of them knowing what to say.

There were a million things that Remus wanted to say to Patton, but he couldn't bring himself to speak. What could he possibly say that would summarize everything he was feeling right now?

Ever since they had entered the car, Remus became painfully aware of how close they were. Now, his mind was being invaded with memories from the party.

Patton's big, blue eyes staring up at him. Looking at him with such an intense desire, something he never thought he would see from Patton.

Patton's soft hands, tightly gripping Remus' shoulders. Keeping him in place, forcing them to lock eyes.

Patton's soft lips on his. Remus had practically memorized the sensation. Patton had worn flavored lip gloss that night. It had been cotton candy flavored.

The sheer panic of "oh god, I don't know what I'm doing but I'm just gonna go with it." That was one of the dominating thoughts that night.

"Remus?"

Remus hummed in reply, snapping out of his thoughts.

"You just passed my house."

Remus slammed on the breaks, flushing in embarrassment. "Shit--Sorry--" He stammered, frantically turning the car around.

"You okay? You seem really lost in thought." Patton commented. "Is something wrong?"

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine." Remus mumbled, stopping in front of Patton's house this time. "I just have a lot on my mind, y'know?"

"I understand." Patton sighed. "This has been the worst year of my life." He frowned. "I just never imagined that I would be going into senior year without him, y'know? We had promised to always be there for each other, and now..." He took a deep breath, wiping his eyes. "Sorry, I'm really emotional."

"It's okay, Patton." Remus told him gently. "You're allowed to be vulnerable, you don't need to be happy all the time. And it's perfectly justified, anyways."

"I know, I just--" Patton huffed. "I'm sick of just moping around all day! I wanna be useful for once."

"You are useful, Patton." Remus said. "You're one of the most incredible people I've met. And you've been so strong, too. It's inspiring, really." Remus chuckled. "Don't beat yourself up, Pat. Janus would be proud of you."

Patton smiled weakly. "At least there's one good side to this year."

Remus tilted his head, confused.

"Thanks for dropping me off, Ree." Patton told him, unbuckling himself. "I really appreciate it."

"Anytime, Pat. Take care of yourself, alright?" Remus smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you." Patton opened the car door, and got out.

---

"Where have you been?" Roman asked the second Remus walked into the house.

"Out." Remus answered, not looking up from his phone.

"Out where?" Roman crossed his arms, raising a brow.

Remus plopped down onto the couch. "You have the tracking app, you probably know."

"Why were you at the baseball field?" Roman asked, giving Remus a tense look. "You're not allowed to play, Remus. You're grounded."

"I just wanted to watch." Remus shrugged. "I didn't even touch a baseball, scout's honor." He gave Roman a mock salute.

"You were never a boy scout."

"That's true."

"In fact, you told me last year that if you saw a boy scout, you would punt him."

"That is also true."

"Why were you out so late?"

"Are you mom? Why does it matter so much?" Remus scoffed, obviously stalling for time whilst he thought of an excuse.

"Why does it--Three days ago, we found you beaten to a pulp in another fucking state!" Roman exclaimed. "You think I'm just going to let you do your own thing after that?!"

"Uh, yeah?" Remus rose a brow, glancing at him briefly, before returning his gaze to his phone.

"You're incorrigible." Roman said.

"Ooh, that's a big word. Where'd you learn that one?" Remus snorted.

Roman huffed, not bothering to grace that with a response. He went to the kitchen, deciding to make himself a sandwich.

"Yo, Ro."

"What's up?"

"Can I have Virgil's phone number?"

Roman froze, giving Remus an alarmed look. "Why?"

"I have to discuss a...school project with him." Remus mumbled.

"You have a class with him?" Roman asked, furrowing his brow.

"No, but he was in Algebra 2 last year and my teacher says I need a tutor." Remus said.

"What? I thought you were doing great in math?" Roman frowned, getting more confused as the conversation progressed. "You told me last week, 'it's the only thing I can hold over your head.'"

"Did I say that?" Remus asked. "I think you're remembering it wrong."

"It was literally last week, how could I be remembering it wrong?" Roman rolled his eyes.

"Why are you so against giving me his number?" Remus snorted. "Afraid I'll steal your boyfriend?"

"More like I'm afraid my boyfriend will steal you." Roman laughed wryly.

"Look, either you give me his number, or I ask him for it myself." Remus told him.

Roman wasn't sure he liked the thought of Remus approaching Virgil.

"...fine." Roman murmured, realizing be didn't really have a choice. "Don't send him anything weird, though. Alright?" He pulled out his phone and held it out to Remus.

"No promises." Remus smirked, standing up and plucking the phone out of Roman's hand.

Roman sighed heavily.

A/N:

#1

Ugh, I've never had to stretch out filler for 5 chapters jfc