-. .xxxv.

Yoongi gave them a crooked smile, full of malice.

"Where's Soojin?" Taehyung asked, his entire body stiff, clotted with nerves and faux bravado. After all, there's only so brave you can be in front of the man who had tortured you for years.

"You know, after listening to Hoseok's outburst, I thnk you might be right," Yoongi hummed, his tone smooth and monotone, his smile unwavering, "This isn't a game. I was... misguided to see it that way. I thought by playing with Taehyung, the punishment alone would atone for what he did, but all the while I treat this like a game, nothing changes. It's not until I pack it all away in it's neat little box that things will return to normal," He focused only on Taehyung as the next words fell so effortlessly from his lips, "I have to pack you away, for good."

"Yoongi," The desperation in Hoseok's voice, the plea hidden in his eyes was enough to gain the offending man's attention, "Doing this won't bring your sister back, hurting Taehyung, it might feel good at first, but nothing is going to change. You don't have to do this."

Yoongi's brows scrunched together, "Given the time we've spent together, I didn't realize you thought I was so stupid," He pouted slightly, "I know nothing now is going to bring Jaehee back, and I know I don't have to do this. I want to do this. I made a promise to myself, and I'll make sure that I see it through, even if it kills me."

There was no reasoning with him. Taehyung was certain that all humanity Yoongi possessed died with his sister that day. There was nothing left there anymore, just contorted, twisted, unbridled rage.

After all, it's easy to lose your humanity once you've lost touch of your sanity.

Yoongi clapped his hands together, the sudden bang startling the other two men, "Don't feel so disheartened, this was how it was always destined to end, Taehyung. The girl and her friends have proved to be a moderate inconvenience, but I have had many years to plan this." He took a generous step to the side, his smile growing in length, "If you want Soojin to come out of this unscathed, I suggest you follow me."

Sharing brief glances of concern, Taehyung and Hoseok reluctantly followed, their hearts rattling in their chest. The school was deathly silent if not for the slow, melancholy humming from Yoongi as he lead them further up the stairs, swiftly passing the third floor and straight up to the roof.

Hoseok's palms began to sweat. For days, an inexplicable ominous feeling had resided in his chest, but with each step, it rose to his throat.

Yoongi pushed open the door, stepping out onto the roof that, surprisingly, didn't look as eroded as the rest of the school. Although, planted perfectly in the centre was Soojin, on her knees with her hands bound behind her back. Her brows were pushed up as her eyes scrunched with every broken sob that shook through her body. Even from the distance that they were stood at, they could see the angry red trails on her face from the tears that had fallen.

Almost instinctively, Hoseok scrambled towards her, grazing his knees as he fell to the floor in front of her, a pain that he paid no mind to as he took her head in his hands, tears welling in his own eyes, "It's okay, it's okay, we're here. I'm here, you're okay." He breathed them like a mantra as his eyes scanned her vehemently, looking for any new marks.

Taehyung watched, a bittersweet smile threatening to pull at his lips as he watched them, a weight that pressed against his chest had been lifted. She was safe.

"Come on, Soo, you need to get up, we need to go," Hoseok coaxed gently, trying to help his best friend stand to her feet.

"I can't," Soojin's lip wobbled, "He did something to my ankle, I can't move."