-. .xxvi.

"Okay, I think the coast is clear."

Opening the apartment door a little more than a slither, Soojin eyed the dimly lit hallway cautiously, looking for any telltale signs of movement. When nothing stood out, she stepped outside, her muscles coiled with the trepidation of being caught.

It brought back bittersweet memories of the times she and Hoseok used to have to creep quietly through their childhood homes in the hopes of not getting caught by their parents. Back when their only concern was being grounded, and not having to survive the murderous grasp of a creepily good-looking serial killer mastermind.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" Taehyung whispered from behind her, his eyes wide as he tried to find his bearings.

"I don't know if it's occurred to you," Soojin started, "But I've also never been in this building so of course, I'm not sure." Grumbling intangible complaints beneath her breath, her attention was suddenly snagged by a glowing green rectangle at the far end of the hall, "We're going the right way, look, there's the fire exit."

Nodding his head, Taehyung gingerly clutched the hem of Soojin's jacket to make sure no unnecessary distance was put between them. She felt the slight tug but didn't say anything as they approached the T-junction of the hall, and just as the girl was about to round the corner, Taehyung suddenly yanked her back and dragged her into a small alcove of another apartment.

As Soojin was about to ask what the hell he was doing, he pushed her against the wall, pressing himself as close as he could before putting a finger to his lips. And that was when she heard it; the faint chime of keys from further down the hall.

The police officer who was on watch.

Tensing, she placed her hand over her mouth, muffling her lapsed breathing as she squeezed her eyes shut. This was the last thing they needed. Not only would it delay them, but she knew Yoonmin would murder her himself for even stepping foot outside of the apartment. Her heart began to thump erratically in her chest, vibrating against her rib cage enough to make her feel nauseous.

Just before she melted into a panic attack, something soft brushed lightly across her forehead and her breath hitched and she peered through her lashes to see Taehyung looking down at her with a soft expression as his fingers threaded gently through her hair.

"Focus on five different things," He whispered, deep voice smooth against her ears and she nodded her head frantically.

Giving the fact that there was hardly a lot for her to look at, she focused on him. She focused on the saturated blue hair flopping over his forehead and she couldn't help but wonder what on earth he was thinking when he dyed it; she focused on his surprisingly well-maintained eyebrows, and she dragged her gaze down, to his eyes, which she had always found beautiful, but she realized how he had two different eye shapes, one being a monolid and the other being double lidded. She brought her eyes down to his nose, where a small mole resided on the edge of his nose. She noticed how his jawline was sharp and still defined even after years of malnourishment. She finally turned her gaze towards the bow of his chapped lips.

And finally, she noticed just how close he was stood to her.

One hand placed on the wall beside her head, the other brushing her hair and his torso was almost flush with hers. Shaking her head of the invading thoughts, she counted all the features he possessed, and gradually, she managed to gain more control over her breathing.

"Okay, he's gone," Taehyung murmured, taking a respectable step back, the warmth retreating with him, "Are you okay?"

Not trusting her own voice and with her limbs still trembling from the wake of her panic, she nodded her head with a tight lipped smile before hastily making a retreat so she wasn't stood so close to Taehyung.